Syd Uni HSC lectures (1 Viewer)

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Does anyone know when they're on and when you apply for them? My school doesn't give out information on the Sydney lectures, it only gives out information on Dubbo ones and I'm pretty sure they don't chemistry and I'm in DESPERATE need of the Chemistry ones...
All I know is they're in the July holidays...
ooo and is anyone going to them??

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
wut lectures are u talking abt??? if you have any info on it, i can try to dig them out for you...

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
I have no info at all! My school doesn't like giving out info because that takes effort and our front office ladies are EXTREMELY ineffiecient and mean. Anyways, I've been told they're held at Sydney Uni during probably the 2nd week of the July holidays, and that there's lectures on Chemistry, Biology, Maths, English etc...I'm really only interested in Chemistry I think, and possibly Ancient History and maths...lol or what the hell, maybe all of them. Any information would be very much appreciated!

ooo thanks Zarathustra, I didn't even see that smiley the first time round. Computer is incredibly slow and not everything on the screen loads so all I saw before was a big white gap! Thanks!!

Last edited:

dingding

Señor Member
HSC
I went to the chemistry edassit lecture in the christmas holidays.Iit was a waste of money. There's a lot to cover in such a short time and the just skimmed over everything. I came away not knowing any more then when i started.

But each to their own, if you think it might help you then you might as well go. But be warned.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by dingding
I went to the chemistry edassit lecture in the christmas holidays.Iit was a waste of money. There's a lot to cover in such a short time and the just skimmed over everything. I came away not knowing any more then when i started.

But each to their own, if you think it might help you then you might as well go. But be warned.
i agree, i went to the physics ones and they were the biggest waste of time.

just go over trial exams and syllabus

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Well, my friend went to the physics one and quote, "they were awesome! so chemistry should be awesome too! maths is a waste of time though" - my sister said they helped her when she did her HSC, and with the chemistry teacher I have, ANY help is good help, *sighs* if only that other school didn't reject her application for a transfer (hmm I wonder why THAT was) ... I might have a teacher who knew what they were talking about, and didn't end a lesson because they'd confused themself so much to the point where they couldn't unconfuse themself to teach me anymore that day...

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
*rofl* Incompetent teacher=failure
I doubt that one lecture would help much, no matter how informative it was, get a tutor ASAP and study - just follow the syllabus and do lotsa past papers, in the end the teacher is unimportant - even with the best teacher you will fail if you don't put in the effort (cliched I know but true nonetheless:p )

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
That was the plan you see, and then I discovered, no chemistry tutors live in this crappy town, BUT one just moved to town, and she is going to give me tutoring as soon as she phones me back, she was meant to last night but never did! And my teacher..there's really no way to explain how horrid she is..I try to study on my own, but sometimes, I do get stuck so I ask her, and she gets soooo confused and ends up sending me to the Earth Science teacher because then she gets stuck but then he gets stuck too because he's not THAT great with chemistry and oh my god...I try to study on my own but it's so hard, I've never been shown the basis for anything, quote from my HSC chem teacher "well, you should've been shown this in year 10 (I had a primarily physics teacher for year 10 so we skipped the chem stuff and worked only on physics - the other class [they divided us alphabetically] got the chem teacher) and if you haven't been taught it it's not my problem. Oh and this bit here, if I teach you this and explain how it works, you'll find all this much easier, but it's not in the syllabus, so I don't have to, so I won't!".

She's horrid! and there was some formula given to us on the data sheet in a test and I still got the results wrong, and she says "How could you answer this question wrong? The formulas right there on the data sheet."
And I say "I knew the formula, but you've never told me what all the letters in it mean so I didn't know what to do with it."
And she replies with an "Ooooh." and walks away. *sighs* I'm doomed.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
firstly, yulia, realise that the USYD lectures aren't going to teach you the basics. the lectures are designed to give you a quick overview of the course, then discuss various points at length as extension. i got so bored of the first guest lecturer i walked out of the lecture (and yes i paid my $35 for the day!). so if you don't even know the basics, i think it would be a great waste of your time to go to sydney and attend the lectures.

secondly, in terms of studying chem, i think you should go back to the basics - that is, year 11 prelim chem - what is a mole? what is molar mass? what is a covalent bond? go back to the yr 11 material and once you have had a good grounding of it, then move on to year 12 material.

basically, since the HSC is pretty soon, divide up your time. how long are you willing to study the basics? 1 month, say? then the rest of the time, start rote-learning the year 12 stuff. grab a chemistry summary from BoS - then make a summary of that summary. practise answering 3/4/5 mark questions - what does assess, evaluate, discuss mean? look them up in the chem syllabus.

in short, it doesn't matter if you got the best goddamn lecturer/teacher/tutor in the world - to get good marks in anything, ultimately it is up to you. start getting motivated, go over the basics, then move on to the yr 12 stuff. if you've any questions, i'm sure Ragerunner and CM_Tutor will be happy to answer them, and trust me, they're better than most tutors you pay for. :)

happy chem studying, hope i motivated you somewhat.

cheers,
Frigid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)