• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

sydney international film festival (1 Viewer)

walrusbear

HSC
hoping to catch as many of the melville films as possible
particularly le circle rouge, bob le flambeur and le samourai
also wouldn't mind catching 'thank you for not smoking'

all depends on financial situation, of course :p

nwatts

HSC
crazyhomo said:
been awaiting brick for awhile, hope to see that
me too. ever since catching mysterious skin i've been very keen on seeing what gordon-levitt will pull out next.

icecreamdisco

HSC
think i'll have to book seats for brick first. seems to be the hot ticket this year.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'll also be up for Brick and some Melville films, how does a meetup sound to you guys?

Aside from them, these look good

Thank You For Smoking
Starfish Hotel
CRAZY
Le Moustache
No. 2 (Don't know if it's worth making the trip to see, sounds more like something I'd like to watch alone after a long day)
Gravehopping
Something Like Happiness
Mutual Appreciation
Frozen Days
Old Joy
Host and Guest
Lie With Me
Edmond
God On My Side
A Side B Side looks like a good one to see with the gf
Battle In Heaven
Three Times

Last edited:

icecreamdisco

HSC
Benny_ said:
I'll also be up for Brick and some Melville films, how does a meetup sound to you guys?
that'd be cool. i'll know i'll be buying tix to brick on the 22nd at 8:30pm (george st), mutual appreciation on the 16th at 6:30 (state theatre), old joy and three times at 6:40 and 8:30 on the 12th (opera quays), and c.r.a.z.y. on the 23rd, so any of those sessions are good for meetups.

walrusbear

HSC
i'll say g'day to anyone going to le circle rouge (Monday 19th), l'armée des ombres (sunday june 11) or le samouraï (Saturday 17th)

kaylz

HSC
gawsh I want to see them all... I've heard great things about Brick. Also want to see C.r.a.z.y, Thank you for smoking, Funny haha and Mutual appreciation.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
My semester is finished as of the 8th, so I'll definitely be going to as many of the ones I listed as possible. Also my boss owes me about $1000, so hopefully I'll receive that sometime soon and have plenty of movie money.

icecreamdisco

HSC
Benny_ said:
My semester is finished as of the 8th, so I'll definitely be going to as many of the ones I listed as possible. Also my boss owes me about $1000, so hopefully I'll receive that sometime soon and have plenty of movie money.
you should buy a flexi-pass. 20 films for $235, or 30 for $310.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'm considering it. I have a fair few friends celebrating 21sts during the holidays though, so I don't know if there'll be $235 by the end of it. I want to save up a little to buy myself a decent camera as well. It's tempting though.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
when will brick most likely be coming out in cinemas?

not all of us are precious sydney-siders :p

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i'm seeing god on my side tonight. managed to make it up here, so i hope it's good. love denton!

walrusbear

HSC
brick is released soonish anyway

august 10th, i think

icecreamdisco

HSC
AlleyCat said:
i'm seeing god on my side tonight. managed to make it up here, so i hope it's good. love denton!
heh, i waited in the foyer of the state theater for friends who had seen it. chances are you passed me. i opted for le doulos at george st instead.

apart from that, i've already seen old joy, three times and little miss sunshine; first two very good, last charming and funny, but basically an extended sitcom that has no place at a festival.

seeing bob le flambeur and mutual appreciation today. then brick, the sun, c.r.a.z.y, the wind that shakes the barley and the prairie home companion next week. whew.

icecreamdisco

HSC
spiny norman said:
You probably saw me at Bob Le Flambeur today, you lucky devil.
maybe i did. tall, thin, brown hair, had a mini pringles can and a coffee, and i ended up sitting near the front in the middle after standing in the aisle for a while looking for a nice spot. anyway, liked the film heaps, especially the ending, though i found with this and le doulos that the basic who's-doing-what-to-whom-and-why tends to go over my head as i immerse myself in the actual world that melville creates.

also saw mutual appreciation today and loved it; what a honest, organic, modest and special little film. wasn't sure what i though of it for a good part of the duration, but it crept up on me. probably my fave of the the fest so far.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i saw a side, b side, seaside at george st tonight, it was a very sweet film, light-and-fluffy, with no stand out performances except the girl who played baby (it was either her acting or her exceptional beauty...)

andrew denton's god on my side was phenomenal. he really has a very stark, distinct, honest and provocative way of expressing his views.

i wish i could see more, but i'm going back to melbourne tomorrow.

how does it all work, though? do cinemas decide to show the films or not? cos there are so many i want to see and i hope they dont just disappear...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)