sydney law students: have you started the litigant assignment? (1 Viewer)

Juliette

Yes people - Its cruel, its unheard of, it probably violates several of our human rights BUT its happening, and they do it every year to freak us out!!! They want us to chicken out and say "oooh assignment I know nothing arrgh I am gonna fail" BUT YOU ARE NOT!!!!

You survived and excelled in the HSC to get where you are, now lets make the most of it!

I hear you saying you have a full time job until uni starts - I understand, I am in the same place. I have taken a couple of mornings off to check out my local court - depressing activity for sure! The magistrate referred to me as the "little darlin" up the back - I hate being from the country!!!!

Anwyays, I am thinking this is what they are looking for, I will at times verify these by referencing the given sheet.

-Agree with us : read the essays and recognise that the legal system (LS) is faulted, I think they are trying to fulfil their claims of a "critical approach" to law.
-Show some initiative: go to the courts, offer a new perspective , we are fresh and not yet corrupted by jurisprudence, we may just have an insight into something from a diff view.
-Admit your weakness: They want us to see that the court system is confusing for self-representedf litigants (SRL) and anyone without background legal knowledge, note where thay say " did they appear to understand what was happening? Did you")
-Basic writing skills: dont want you to feel put on the spot but they directly state this is a chance to nip in the bud any writing probs - comply closely with the standards for word count, footnoting etc as laid out in the Course Outline(online) and the set text. I think the aim is to be concise and precise. It seems they want a diff style of writing than they sought at school, more persuasive, more exact.

But then again, all the above could be wrong. I am more than open to disagreement and others suggestions.

We are all in this together! I think the idea to go to couort together is perfect. Sharing ideas isnt cheating, it strenghtens everyone through agreement and disagreement. Good luck and meet you all soon.

BTW, Juliette, f, mid north coast, Law/ Economics (Social Sciences) @USYD

grem

omg !! i am thinking about goin to court next week anyone want to come and any suggestions where we should go ?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by grem
omg !! i am thinking about goin to court next week anyone want to come and any suggestions where we should go ?
Wahoo! grem actually posts! ;)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by grem
Grem, what are you combining your law with?

grem

oh hi timmii i am goin to do arts/law !
so are you interested in going to court ? we should get more people ..... i have no fxxking idea waht to write for the bloody assignment !
they're bloody dickheads , ! giving us the assignment befoire uni starts ! : P

timmii

sporadic attendee
I work full time atm, so i'm planning to go on march 3. You can obviously go earlier (and if i could, i would...) Otherwise I'll let u know what courts i'm going to...

grem

Originally posted by doinglawinsyd
perhaps us law studnets could go to court as a group
that way it wouldnt bore the hell out iof us and 2ndly we meet fellow studnets before class begins:D

hey do you want to go court together ?>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)