• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Syllabus Changes.. (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Hey, earlier today I perused the draft 2004-05 syllabus for Ancient History.. (Lame I know..) For the next generation (After this current one), there are some major changes planned. These include;

-The introduction of a Core Unit Of Study. This is to be; Cities Of Vesuvius;Pompeii and Herculaneum. The 'Principal Focus' is described as;

Students investigate the range and nature of archaeological and written sources available for the study of Pompeii and Herculaneum through an exploration of issues relating to reconstruction, ownership and custodianship of the past.

-'Middle Kingdom Dynasties XI-XII' has been removed as a society.
-'Society In New Kingdom Egypt Dynasties XIX-XX' has become 'Society In The New Kingdom To The Death Of Ramesses II'.
-The starting point for Israel has shifted from 'Jeroboam I' to 'Solomon'. (Huge I know. ;))
-'Roman Society In The Age Of Cicero' and 'Roman Society In The Fourth Century AD' have been eliminated.. Instead, the sole Roman society is now 'Society In The City Of Rome From Augustus To Titus'.
-'Jezebel' has been removed as a 'Personality' (Presumably thrown into a memory hole.)
-'Scipio Africanus' has been replaced by his erstwhile opponent, 'Hannibal'.
-'Egypt From Dynasties I-VI' and 'Egypt;Middle Kingdom Egypt' have both been expunged from the syllabus.
-'Assyria From Sargon II To The Fall Of Nineveh' has also disappeared.
-Hellenistic Period is expelled.
-'The Later Roman Empire' has collapsed, possibly following Barbarian invasions and economic decline. Instead, our 'Rome; Augustus and the Julio-Claudians' has seen a schism into two seperate periods.. The 'Augustan Age' and 'Rome In The Time Of The Julio-Claudians AD 14-68'.

Other than the Core Study however, the biggest change is to the HSC examination itself..

Now, the Personality In Their Times section is to be written as an 'Extended Response', with the Core Study being similar to Modern History.. To quote;
There will be three short-answer questions related to at least three sources provided.
-Question A will require students to extract relevant information from some or all of the sources in context. This question may have multiple parts.
-Question B will require students to use sources and apply their own knowledge to reconstruct aspects of life in Pompeii and Herculaneum.
-Question C will require students to refer to sources and apply their own knowledge to issues of investigation, reconstruction, and interpretation of the past and related ethical issues.

Thats about it for the planned changes.. What do you think, even if it may be irrelevant to you? I think these changes are largely a good thing, for the important reason that this will force my old Ancient teacher to actually change topics for once, rather than giving the exact same ones to every grade. (Among those 'taught' were eliminated topics such as 'Egypt From Unification To Dynasty VI..')

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
I agree that there good changes...the Egypt from unification to dynasty 6 was really easy...a teacher ay my school taught that and she admitts she picked it cos its soo easy...and from the perspective of someone who just finished and studied Augustus and the Julio Claudianss...u newbees should be thrilled...that was really akward cos you ike had to know 50 billion things and it definatly was enough info to divide it into 2 different syllabus!. And the common study was a good one..especially for the yr 11's coming from my school...they did that stuff in yr 11! LOL..good on ya BOS!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by snakeoils
oh, so NOW they split the julio claudians... bah!
It isn't an entirely bad thing. Now we can bitch about how it was 'so much harder in our day and generally sound old and doddering, possibly whilst waving a walking stick in the direction of any ruffian who complains about how difficult Ancient History 'is'. . Works for me. :D

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
excellent point. and if we fail, we have an excuse... and if we pass brilliantly, we look even more god-like :)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by snakeoils
excellent point. and if we fail, we have an excuse... and if we pass brilliantly, we look even more god-like :)
Exactly. I see no flaws here..And of course, if there are, we can just dismiss it all as being Ancient History.

*Audience groans*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)