syllabus dot point (1 Viewer)

shsshs

HSC
one of the dot points is:

present info and use available evidence to discuss factors affecting the strength of the gravitational force.

what does this mean?

i'm guessing its referring to
_____m1m2
F = G d^2

i cant find any available EVIDNECE to discuss this

felixcthecat

HSC
ummm.. maybe the radius of the earth affects the launch velocity, shows that gravity is stronger in places where the surface is nearer the centre? or density where denser parts of the earth have a higher gravitational force? proving that these factors (radius, density-which i'm guessing would be related to mass?) do affect the gravitational force

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The evidence that the dot point refers to are the sources where you obtain your info on the topic. Examples include your textbook, newspaper articles and magazines, reference books and the internet.
The two main factors that affect the magnitude of the gravitational force are the masses of the two objects (m1 and m2) and the distance from the centres of the two masses.

helper

HSC
N/A
It's in the section
3. The Solar System is held together by gravity.

So it is talking about applying the formula and applying it to two objects as Riviet said. It then comes into what occurs to objects in the Solar System, Eg Moon has gravitational force due to Earth that makes it orbit Earth but there is also a gravitational force causing it to orbit the Sun.

Evidence you are after is experiments that have shown this to be true, that you would obtain from sources like Riviet said,

Eg. Cavendish''s experiment
Newton's work
Trajectories of planets
Trajectories of sapce probes
Trajectories of satellites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)