Syllabus Question (1 Viewer)

04er

HSC
Hey guys!

I'm stuck on one of the dot points in space...

"explain that a change in gravitational potential energy is related to work done"

I found an 'explanation' at HSC online... link

:confused: Is that even right??? I seriously don't get it... someone help please!!

Last edited:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
ok here is what i wrote in my summary for that dot point:

Explain that a change in gravitational potential energy is related to work done

Gravitational potential energy is the potential energy of a mass due to its position within a gravitational field
Defined as the work done to move an object from a very large distance away to a point in a gravitational field
The value of E<sub>P</sub> is zero when the distance is infinity
E<sub>P</sub> = work done = force distance object moves = Fs = mgh
When a mass falls (decreases the distance to the other mass), the work needed to be done to move that object is therefore reduced as a result of a closer distance
This results in a lower E<sub>P</sub>, and hence all points within a gravitational field have a E<sub>P</sub> less than zero (negative value)

hsc sucks. ;)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
weight is infact the force applied on an object that is in a gravitational field... hence, weight = mass x acceleration

04er

HSC
Thanks abdooooo!!! :D I undestand your explanation :)

Last edited:

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!

umm... you can understand my? then i wonder why i always lose marks with explainations in the hsc...
Maybe its the way youre answering things? (dont tell me you answer them in point form)

Rahul

Dead Member
what is the hard thing to take out the bullets and stick the points one after the other, creating, surprisingly, sentences! :p

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
answering in dot pt is good... it lets u get more info in in less words... you dun get mark down for using it in the hsc, infact it was advised in 1 of the examiners comments i believe...

abdooooo!!!

Banned
yea i seen that as well... but i reckon there are some anal english markers who made it into the science marking centre and they fully deduct marks for grammatical mistakes like plurals and dot points.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Do you use point form for all of the questions? I mean some verbs do lend themselves to the use of point form i.e. the lower order ones but what about the evaluate ones etc. ?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
nah its the same thing... it just means you have to define, describe, explain... like i did it with dot points. then at the end you have like a 2 or 3 sentence conlusion which is something like the advantages clearly outweighs the disadvantages as stated above... crap like that.

its not suppose to be like english where they want a particular form... but having said that im still skeptical of whether all teachers actually agree on the use of dot points.

edit: i reckon most of the science teachers this days are all english teachers in disguise LOL

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
edit: i reckon most of the science teachers this days are all english teachers in disguise LOL
A fair few of them are proper science teachers, who are pissed off at the current syllabus. However, they have to teach it like that because some politician couldnt understand why a High School kid knew more then they did.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Xayma
A fair few of them are proper science teachers, who are pissed off at the current syllabus. However, they have to teach it like that because some politician couldnt understand why a High School kid knew more then they did.
which politicians? i'll show them... bob carr? that idiot... i should of snapped him when he was standing beside me at our school last year. :D

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
heya! abdoo... i know this is completely off the topic.. but what nerd training camp was this?

edit: hmm... maybe i SHould say something mildly relevent.
It might be interesting to know that a change in any sort of potential energy is related to work done...

objects have potential energy because they're placed in a field.
eg grav. potential energy cuz of gravitational fields,
electrical potential energy cuz of electrical fields.

To change an object's position potential energy means changing its position in the field. Force is applied over a distance. This is work.

not that abdoo didn't do an excellent enuf explanation anyway ^^

Last edited:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
heya! abdoo... i know this is completely off the topic.. but what nerd training camp was this?
what... you want to join as well? pay me... but you're a nerd already so you don't need training. :p

its just some place that i go to study... but thats so last week... i got school now. what do you think it was? some kind of nerd gathering that didn't include you... ahahaha. im gonna change it now... no more nerd training camp.

i hate work... ;)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
You were a nerd before you went off to that camp but, maybe it was denerdifying you.

04er

HSC
To change an object's position potential energy means changing its position in the field. Force is applied over a distance. This is work.
OMG OMG I GET IT NOW!! FULLY!! Thankyou so much +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ :D You're my hero!:p AND no, im not being sarcastic :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)