• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

syllabus question (1 Viewer)

bEAbEA

HSC
I'm doing my syllabus at the moment and one of the dot points under 'studnet learn about' is the
"concepts of access, equity, fairness, equality and human rights"

I've looked it up in so many places, but the definitions seem so similar. Does anyone feel the same about this? Can anyone please help to give me clear definitions for these, especially:
equity
equality
fairness

Thanks

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Yeah they are similar

This is what i have for that dotpoint in my notes:
oACCESS: Being able to find out about the law, access to courts, legal aid & a fair trial. If there is no equal access to the law then there will be no justice.

oEQUITY: When circumstances are taken into account in cases so justice is more likely to be achieved.

oFAIRNESS: Treating people without bias or prejudice. If there is fairness then everyone will be treated with just punishment

oEQUALITY: Treating everyone the same under the law. Justice can be achieved under the rule of law as everyone is given the same punishment regardless of any circumstances.

oHUMAN RIGHTS: The set of universally accepted rights that every individual is entitled to have applied to them.

hope that helped :)

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Equity:
1. the body of law developed by the Court of Chancery (can be contrasted with the body of law developed by the common law courts, which it was designed to supplement)
2. a principle of fairness

The hardest one i would say is equity it gets confusing. But just remember equity is pretty much the same as fairness. They are based on the same principles.

With Access when evaluating the law you have to see or infer whether or not the law is achieving justice by allowing equal access to the law and is it fair etc.

And Joe (goan_crazy) has pretty much summed it up well :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)