Systematic names (1 Viewer)

Beats

HSC
Hey- I've come across heaps of variations on the systematic name for the 'styrene' polymer - does anyone know the correct version? Thanks

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
vinylbenzene is the IUPAC approved name
?? huh??

i thought tis either

ethynyl benzene or
phenolethene??

or was i sooo horribly wrong???

grimreaper

HSC
Yeah I'm pretty sure xiao is right. Maybe youre thinkin of vinyl chloride skunk

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
I am 100% sure its vinylbenzene(i checked the IUPAC website for this last year).

benzene is the IUPAC approved parent and vinyl is the IUPAC approved prefix (for the CH2=CH- group)... Styrene being the IUPAC accepted trivial name.

i think ethenylbenzene is also accepted and i reckon youd get the answer right if you put it in an exam since vinyl=ethenyl

other 'unofficial' names include vinylbenzol, phenylethylene, and phenylethene

edit: grimreaper, its the same in vinylchloride: its CH2=CHCL

Last edited:

Affinity

HSC
IUPAC (prefered) name is styrene..
I don't think they can mark you wrong if you said styrene for systematic name

Last edited:

milsey

IUPAC preferred is named is polysterene

BUT

systematic name is polyethenylbenzene from memory according to Conquering chemistry, so i think xiao was right

Affinity

HSC
try poly(phenyl-ethene) if you don't like styrene.. the benzene ring is the substituted group here.

Paroissien

HSC
Most text books I've come across say ethenylbenzene.
So what is right as far as the HSC is concerned?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
As far as the HSC is concerned I think ethenylbenzene is fine.

An example of rule A-12 (and I havent found any instance counter-acting that in the 1993 version) is that of styrene. Being CH<sub>2</sub>=CH-C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>5</sub>.

Otherwise if you were to name it based on it's substituent group such as affinity's post from april above it would be phenyl-ethene or vinil-phenyl (table 19(b))

Benzyl is of the form C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>5</sub>-CH<sub>2</sub>- since polymers are named after the monomer and the monomer must be unsaturated any systematic name won't have Benzyl in it.

Benzene is of the form C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>6</sub>. Phenyl is of the form C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>5</sub>- although Im not sure of the systematic name through out the rules it states that the name "benzene" is retained, and for radical Phenyl is retained.

Using the systematic rules to try and name the benzene ring it would be (I think) (and considering the nature of its double bonds ie that they are delocalised it is probably wrong so dont write it down): 1,3,5-cyclohexatriene.

And the substituted version (phenyl) (from what Ive read): 1,3,5-cyclohexatrien-1-yl.

So based on the above it would be 1,3,5,-cyclohexatrien-1-ethenyl (not to sure about what an ethene side chain would be called)

*Note it is 8am so any errors can be blamed on the time, the fact that Im sick and the fact that I really should be studying for physics.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Xayma is correct in pointing out that styrene is retained for C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>5</sub>-CH=CH<sub>2</sub> according to rule A-12. Ethenylbenzene is the correct fully systematic name with benzene as the parent chain, although vinylbenzene is also acceptable. Taking the ethene as the main chain, the name would be phenylethene.

I don't what 'vinil-phenyl' is supposed to be, but it sounds wrong to me.

On the subject of benzene, C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>6</sub>, it has no other name. It should not be referred to as 1,3,5-cyclohexatriene, for two reasons. Firstly, because 1,3,5-cyclohexatriene does not exist. Secondly, because this name is reserved for the non-existent 6 membered cyclic system with alternating single and double bonds. The stability of benzene is usually measured relative to this hypothetical model, and so this name is not used for benzene itself.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I knew that it would be wrong, but it was the closest thing to it I could think of.

Phenyl is of the form C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>5</sub>- ie it is a benzene ring with a hydrogen atom allowing it to have a single bond (Table 19(b), 1993). "Vinil" (although I dont know why it is spelt with an "i") is of the form CH<sub>2</sub>=CH- ie an ethene molecule with a hydrogen atom removed allowing it to bond.

so vinil-phenyl would be CH<sub>2</sub>=CH-C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>5</sub>

Or is the phenyl only for when the benzene isn't the parent chain?

Last edited:

Old_Sk3wl

HSC
it depends on whether they ask you for the systematic name or the IUPAC name... in all the exams ive done you get the marks for either unless it specifically asks for them :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)