• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

T.H Morgans fly experinments (1 Viewer)

finishline

HSC
hey,

i dont understand morgans experimenst firstly and secondly i dont get why his results would a surprise to mendel's monohybrid cross ratios 3;1. so could some one explain the experiment and why hisd results would be a surprise to mendel, in thee most basic language. i've read this so many times in txt books but now im just confused.

any help would be appreciated
thx:confused:

tam101

HSC
this might help, its a bit technical, but, yehr, who knows..
  • Thomas Mogan discovered sex linkage
  • he worked on the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster ( fruit fly that scientists have lots of previous information on and are cheap, easy to keep and only survive for 2weeks, therefore rendering practical and efficient for experiments).
  • Morgan discovered that a single male fly with white eyes appeared when the flys bred. the normal eye colour is red, so morgan assumed that it was due to mutation.
  • he then crossed the white eyed male with a normal red eyed female, and the F1 (first generation of offspring) had red eyes, signifying that red was the dominant gene.
  • this was then confirmed when he bred the F1 offspring interbreed with each other, and he observed the ratio of 3:1 of red to white in the offspring produced (F2).
  • however, he noticed that the males in the F2 had white eyes , and then proposed that the eye colour was linked to its sex. (Sex Linkage)
  • from this experiment morgan formulated the theory that the eye colour gene was carried on the X-chromosome
Morgan looked at crosses between red eyed and white eyed flies and found that the results could not be accounted for by using mendels theory.

there ya go, hope it wasnt too complex xxxx:wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)