• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Table Method for Simpson's/Trapezoidal Rule (2 Viewers)

jet

Banned
HSC
Ok, here it is. The explanation is a bit long. I personally think that this method is better than trying to remember some long formula, plus it organises all the information for you right there on the page. The Board of Studies recognises it as a valid method and you will not lose marks.

If you have any questions or comments, I have no problems answering them.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
This is no different to the regular way anyway -_-. I thought it was something exciting.

It's just setting it all into a table... Because you need to get the x values and y-values anyway... then the pattern in trapezoidal is the end ordinates are mutliplied by one, rest all added and multiplied by two.

This is nothing new, sorry.

jet

Banned
HSC
Lol. I never meant to make it exciting. Sorry if it let you down. Like I said, I just think it's easier.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea, I thought it was something new entirely.

Because I make a table for Y and X values and I know the evens and odds are multiplied by 2 and 4 in a pattern for Simpsons... That's what the formula does. :p

You are essentially just remembering the formula by doing that anyway ^_^

Simpson's Rule: h/3{(sum of end ordinates) + 2.(even ordinates) + 4.(odd ordinates)}

Trapezoidal Rule: h/2{(sum of end ordinates + 2.(everything else)}

Last edited:

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
it seems pretty clear and organised but like whether your using the approximations to find area or volume, it'd probably take longer to write this aye?
It looks nice tho, in case i ever forget, i get i got this. +1

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Ok, here it is. The explanation is a bit long. I personally think that this method is better than trying to remember some long formula, plus it organises all the information for you right there on the page. The Board of Studies recognises it as a valid method and you will not lose marks.

If you have any questions or comments, I have no problems answering them.
this is the same thing as remember the formula, except it takes like 5 times longer to do, just use the formula, whats the difference between remembering the weighting and remembering the formula??

nothing

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Wow, i've never seen this way before - i've never learnt about anything called "weightings" :D

I think i'll still stick to the way i was taught though, just in case i stuff it up XD

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
just out of curiosity, do we need to know how to derive the equations we use for this? Completely forgot haha.

HSC
our teacher never taught us the formula...only the table and i've never gotten a question wrong using this method

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess it doesn't really matter which method we use. They're both effective and don't take too long to use!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Lol. I never meant to make it exciting. Sorry if it let you down. Like I said, I just think it's easier.
Different people learn things differently.

When I teach trapezoidal & Simpsons I always show each basic unit of approxn the same way:

trapezoidal: weighting: 1 : 1 => 1 2 2 2 . . . 2 1 (no of points: 2, 3, 4 ...)

Simpsons: weighting: 1:4:1 => 1 4 2 4 2 4 . . . . 2 4 1 (no of points: 2n+1: 3,5,7 . .)

and work from there. Imo, it is quite easy to forget the formulae after a few weeks for most students. Some have excellent memory of course.

Last edited:

PC

HSC
N/A
No news here. I've always used a table to do it, but actually do it in columns rather than rows.
x ... f(x) ... W ... P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)