Tafe or SIBT...??? any1 help??? (1 Viewer)

smilin4u

HSC
As there has no reply from Tafe,
my last choice is doing SIBT in Macquaire Uni...:confused:

What do u ppl think? I think there has more advantages if i take SIBT,

* Uni at least better than Tafe
* near home....=.=
* my friends all go to Macquaire U....(thats good enough)

The disadvantage is:

* SIBT dun have Graphic design and i really want to do it....

I just interested in these 2 areas:

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody><tr class="TableCopy" bgcolor="#f4f4f5" valign="top"><td>Diploma of Computing</td> <td> Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Information Technology (prescribed units)
Bachelor of Engineering (Telecommunications)(prescribed units) GPA 2.25
Bachelor of Computer Science GPA 3.0
Bachelor of eBusiness (prescribed units)
Bachelor of Information Systems (prescribed units)
</td> </tr> <tr class="TableCopy" bgcolor="#ececed" valign="top"> <td>Diploma of Communication</td> <td> Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Arts - Media and Cultural Studies
B Media in Writing (prescribed units)GPA 3.0
B Media in Screen Production (prescribed units) GPA 3.0
Bachelor of International Communication GPA 3.25 plus CR in 4 prescribed units
</td></tr></tbody> </table>
Does any1 know wt is Communication?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Couple of points:
  • University and TAFE don't have some sort of ranked relationship, they are good in different sectors so if the area you wish to study is at TAFE then thats where you should go, similarly with SIBT, if the course you want is there, then that where you should go.
  • You should call up TAFE, its far too late for applications(which are only used in like half the courses anyway) or you could visit TAFE - don't just sit on your laurels waiting for a letter.
  • There is the issue of money, SIBT costs dwarf those of university and make TAFE fees seem like nothing in comparison.
  • If your plans are to go to uni, then SIBT is much faster and there are more guarantees than with a TAFE Diploma
  • Communications is a subject where you study how meaning is conveyed..its sort of like a more applied version of english - think journalism, radio, creative writing, visual design etc.

smilin4u

HSC
kami said:
Couple of points:
  • University and TAFE don't have some sort of ranked relationship, they are good in different sectors so if the area you wish to study is at TAFE then thats where you should go, similarly with SIBT, if the course you want is there, then that where you should go.
  • You should call up TAFE, its far too late for applications(which are only used in like half the courses anyway) or you could visit TAFE - don't just sit on your laurels waiting for a letter.
  • There is the issue of money, SIBT costs dwarf those of university and make TAFE fees seem like nothing in comparison.
  • If your plans are to go to uni, then SIBT is much faster and there are more guarantees than with a TAFE Diploma
  • Communications is a subject where you study how meaning is conveyed..its sort of like a more applied version of english - think journalism, radio, creative writing, visual design etc.
OMG......thats mean if i do communication i require English skills.......my English isnt that good....=.=
so i think communication isnt suit me.........

i thought it is sumthing do with design.............

bumbo_hippo

HSC
wel...i wouldn't spend money to do a course i dun wanna do!!! seriously! its waste of money dat way!!
and jus cuz ur friends go...doesn't mean u go tooo~~
da point of finishing high skool and into uni or tafe...is to meet new pplz...
u dun have any idea wat kinda pplz u will meet at tafe!!! its so great~!!! i like my new friends like a million times betta than da ones i had in high skool!! i mean high skool friends will jus b high skool friends!! its so meaninglesS~~~

i mean u can still get into macq afta tafe...buh for da time being..since tafe have da course u want....and macq doesn't...jus go to tafe...and transfer later!! i mean im sure ur friends will still b there when u get there!!!

7th Sign

HSC
At SIBT dont you have to get over like 65% + to pass into the uni area of it if you get below the 65% dont you get like nothing, at tafe you always get certs and other things :D like afte 6 months cert 12 months dip 18 months adv dip etc, etc...

And at SIBT dont you pay like twice what the uni students pay.

I had the chance to do SIBT as my uai was over 60 and only get over 55% to pass into the higher course but I didnt want to do it.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
7th Sign said:
At SIBT dont you have to get over like 65% + to pass into the uni area of it if you get below the 65% dont you get like nothing, at tafe you always get certs and other things :D like afte 6 months cert 12 months dip 18 months adv dip etc, etc...

And at SIBT dont you pay like twice what the uni students pay.

I had the chance to do SIBT as my uai was over 60 and only get over 55% to pass into the higher course but I didnt want to do it.
SIBT is an institution under contract with Macquarie University, it provides valid AQF Diplomas(like TAFE) which practically guarantee entry to the second year of certain Macquarie degrees. Any and every AQF Diploma whether it be from TAFE, SIBT or other private colleges(it must be AQF though) will give you tertiary results that might help you into uni. TAFE however, is the only institution to have credit arrangements with all the unis on a national level. Other institutions must negotiate local contracts.

TAFE is also one of less than a handful of non uni institutions to be publicly subsidised - other institutes(including SIBT) are almost always going to be full fee and expensive. An example being that SIBT fees for a 1 year Diploma were somewhere in the vicinity of $18,000 and that is if you are a local student.

This makes it (in the most general cases) an argument of time vs. money when weighing up options between institutes like SIBT against TAFE. TAFE will take a bit longer but will be dramatically cheaper - a private provider will likely take the shortest amount of time but have sky high costs. Other things come into it as well, such as location, specific degree interests etc. but thats the main difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)