• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

tafe portfolio's ?? (1 Viewer)

Digital Ninja

HSC
hey guys, just need to get some info and confirm things
i applied for product design and got a letter saying i need to bring my portfolio,
just wondering what is it actually, ive done design and tech at school and as a requirement of BOS i had to do i major design project.

ive got my folio for my design (which i had done for the major design project), so are they asking me to bring my finished folio or do they want a completely new typed up thing so that they can see what youve done. ive also have an log book which has my other designs/sketches of other things i wanted to design.
so could someone tell me what to really take

thx

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
A portfolio is basically a collection of your works. You provide the finished prouct in it and sometimes 3 or 4 sketches to back it up... as well as a brief.

But they dont want to see w hole bunch of diary entries or sketches to go with it. Bring that stuff for sure, and make sure it looks all neat and not rough and ready. Offer it to them to see during the interview, but dont make it as part of the portfolio etc.Make sure you put your best works only in it.

Sort out the works from best to not-so-best. then start your portfolio with your 2nd best piece (unless your 2nd best piece isnt that good, then just put the best there) and then slowly go down the chain as the pages go through and backup a bad piece witha good piece. Finish with your best piece. ALWAYS finish with a good piece.

Also remember not to provide more than 8-10 pieces (even 10 is a bit much), and to have it spaced nicely... i.e. dont put a piece on every page back-to-front. Put a piece on the right hand side of the book and leave the left hand blank, or maybe with just a few sentences of brief.

Black carboard is alway the best to use and try not to use plastic sleeves, it looks like a high-school prject rather than a 'portfolio'. My suggestion would be to get a2 black cardboard, then stick a piece (using ONLY thin double sided tape NOT glue) on each piece then go to office works and get it bound, that way it also looks professionally made. It'll cost you about $60 but its well worth it, and its something you can keep forever (or until you update it) so make sure you keep it in a protective cover... a nice business bag will aslo add to making it look professional.

If you have to put a cd in your portfolio, make sureit has a neat label and isnt just writtin on... design your own sticker,or at least put a white sticker on it and a description (not hand written) of what on it. You can have a cd sleeve put in nicely if you want or just put one of those spot things to hold in and press it into place...like how they have it in cd covers and you just press the cd ontio it... you can also use those things that you put on cupboard doors to stop them slamming.

I hope this helps :) If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help. Better off PMing me cos I probably wont check this thread again.

Cheers.
:wave:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)