• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

tafe to 2nd year of uni? (2 Viewers)

dzth

HSC
can someone tell me more about this? i cant find any info on it.
so it i study a commerce course @ TAFE i can get into 2nd year of uni?
do i need really high marks or something? about how much?
any strings involved?? :O

Marky24

HSC
Firstly you don't just jump into the second year like that. It all depends on the university and their policies about Advanced standing. I recently completed a 2 year IT diploma in 2007 .. My TAFE teachers were like "Yeah you will get 12 months articulation blah blah blah" .. then I got into UOW , applied for excemptions and they gave me a measly 2 subject credits excemptions .. in a way I was dissapointed but still grateful they gave me that.

Best bet would be to ring TAFE and the universities you want to go to , cause you most prob won't find out info here.

EDIT: By the way for a TAFE dip costs like 4 grand for 2 years, I got a Credit Average and I applied Mature age so that most probably pushed in my favour.

Last edited:

blerkles

HSC
N/A
CSU would have given you a year off, possibly 1.5 years (from experience of transferring into it)....

"As CSU is a participant in the AVCC National Credit Transfer Schemes, TAFE students who hold a Diploma (formerly Associate Diploma) will be granted a minimum of 33% credit in a related three year full-time equivalent undergraduate course or 25% in a four year course. "

Unfortunately a little out of a date but the following site shows what credit is possible. Some are offering 1.5 years off a 3 year BIT.

http://www.lg.tafensw.edu.au/2385/infotech/articulations.htm

Maybe OUW doesn't appreciate what goes into a diploma...?

blerkles

HSC
N/A
4K for a diploma? Wangle it so you can get Youth Allowance/Austudy, then it is only $50 a year plus textbooks and maybe a small resource charge depending on the campus. Even if you only qualify for the first few weeks of TAFE, then start earning some $ to no longer qualify for Youth Allowance/Austudy, you don't have to pay the remainder of the course costs (up to the full fee) for that year.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
The front office people really should have told you that a fee exemption (previously free, now $50) was available to you.

From http://www.tafensw.edu.au/about/money.htm#exemptions ...

"Concessions
Students who receive a Commonwealth benefit or allowance (see list below) are eligible to pay a Concession fee of $50 per course enrolment per year rather than the full TAFE NSW fee.
Age Pension
Austudy (including Veterans' Children Education Scheme)
Carer Payment
Disability Support Pension (2nd or subsequent enrolment in year)
Exceptional Circumstances Relief Payment
Family Tax Benefit Part A (Maximum Rate)
...etc etc...
Youth Allowance"

If the Youth Allowance was solely dependent on your enrolment then you can apply for a refund if... "You have paid the full TAFE NSW fee but now receive Youth Allowance or Austudy commencing within two weeks of the date of enrolment or the date of first attendance at class (you will be eligible for a concession). "

I mention this so others don't get caught, not to rub salt into your wounds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)