• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Taking days off work (1 Viewer)

G

Gavvvvvin

Whats the rules taking days off work if your full time? Are you able to take days off if you give adequate warning or what?

kalli

HSC
you must apply for annual leave (if you have some accumulated) or you can call in sick (usually requires doc certificate). at my work, if you dont have any annual leave you can apply for LWOP (leave without pay) but they dont have to give it to you...

G

Gavvvvvin

Hmm so if I wanted one day off in which I would have only worked 8 hours, would that consume 8 or 24 of my accumulated hours?

kalli

HSC
_DeathlessOne_ said:
Hmm so if I wanted one day off in which I would have only worked 8 hours, would that consume 8 or 24 of my accumulated hours?
8 hours.....

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Some workplaces have a Rostered Day Off (RDO) system in place, check with yours it might save you needing to use up leave. You never know but you might end up sick on that day :)

funniboi

HSC
when my boss doesn't come to pick me up
i assume it's a day off work.

(just like today it's 9am and he still hasn't come yet)

P

Pie - Discuss.

_DeathlessOne_ said:
Whats the rules taking days off work if your full time? Are you able to take days off if you give adequate warning or what?
Are you a casual, part time, full time worker?

Mr_Shrimp

HSC
kols_kebabs said:
If you're a casual, how many days notice do you legally have to give to take time off?

I work at woolies, and have always been told 2 weeks.

This seems like BS. Isn't being a casual all about flexibility? What the hell kind of flexibility is 2 weeks?

Everyone I know who works at Macca's or KFC says they have to give 24 hours at the most!

It seems to me that my managers probally just doesn't want to have to do the work in changing my shifts.

There is an award condition that says how long we have to give notice for. Does anyone know if my employer's undermining the award?
it's about flexibility for the EMPLOYER, not employee.. they don't care about you, you're bottom of the food chain.

as far as i know, there is no set legal notice to give. you just have to go with the rules your employer gives you. you can cancel shifts or what not out of their set time but it could endanger your employment..

i worked at maccas and the system there was they had an N/A book (a diary) and you wrote your name on the days you weren't available. You had to do this by the Monday before the rostered week. if you didn't do that and you were rostered for the day you had to do whatever you could to swap the shift with someone around the same age...

so all different places have different systems.

P

pLuvia

kols_kebabs said:
If you're a casual, how many days notice do you legally have to give to take time off?

I work at woolies, and have always been told 2 weeks.

This seems like BS. Isn't being a casual all about flexibility? What the hell kind of flexibility is 2 weeks?

Everyone I know who works at Macca's or KFC says they have to give 24 hours at the most!

It seems to me that my managers probally just doesn't want to have to do the work in changing my shifts.

There is an award condition that says how long we have to give notice for. Does anyone know if my employer's undermining the award?
24 hours at maccas, total bullshit

You have to give a 2 week notice or if you are rostered you can just find someone else

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think at most places for casuals it is basically that you have to give them notice before they do the roster... at my work the rosters are done every 3-4 weeks, and if you need a day off you either have to try and swap/give away your shift or tell them about 3 weeks in advance.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Hooray for my work that only does the rosters like 3 days in advance (go colesmyer!)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
From what I've heard (with my firm) if you work extra late or you beat deadlines, you get time off which your manager/senior will give you.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Nah but sometimes you get a case of the mondays^^
You'd get beaten up for saying something like that here :)
Especially since we're such a flexible workplace, i'm about to start a weekend course for 5 weeks and spend Mon/Tue just sifting through paperwork and surfing the net.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)