• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Tape recorders? Are they allowed? (1 Viewer)

Gabs

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering... Can I tape-record lectures?

It will make life so much easier, coming home with my lecture taped and I can listen to it again and finalise my study notes. I've always been bad at writing notes whilst the teacher was speaking... I tried doing it in some of my lessons and I end up missing sentences as I struggle to keep up writing!

Some of my teachers told me that I could, as they did too, but just wanted to double check with you guys here before I went off and bought a recorder.

SweetSeasons

HSC
I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed, or even if u weren't how they would find out you had one.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
get a cheap minidisc player with a mic
or ipod with microphone
or somethin' lyk that

HSC
or a laptop with a mic and a recording program :)

but yeah i wanna know this too, if i actually get accepted into late round b social science i will be wanting to tape all my lectures, im real lazy mostly and i sometimes day dream in lectures so this would be good

Jonathan A

HSC
Some lecturers may object to having their lectures taped. most don't mind. BUT PLEASE DON"T DO WHAT EVERYONE DID AT PARRA INTRO TO BIZ LAW. one bloke asked the lecturer if he could leave his tape recorder on the lecture table and have the lecturer switch it on. Soon about 10 people asked the lecturer if they could do this.

You can use a dictaphone, (Officeworks is selling them at $29 :)) or like I am doing, I have the creative MuVo with about 10 hours talk time for those extended seminar sessions.

Jonathan A

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
or a laptop with a mic and a recording program :)

but yeah i wanna know this too, if i actually get accepted into late round b social science i will be wanting to tape all my lectures, im real lazy mostly and i sometimes day dream in lectures so this would be good

I taped all my Business Law lectures on my Ipaq, I never listened to them. I suppose its a mental thing that you can actually refer back to it. Also do take note that your Windows sound recorder only records for 60 seconds, most lectures go for an extra 54-59 minutes.

HSC
Jonathan A said:
Some lecturers may object to having their lectures taped. most don't mind. BUT PLEASE DON"T DO WHAT EVERYONE DID AT PARRA INTRO TO BIZ LAW. one bloke asked the lecturer if he could leave his tape recorder on the lecture table and have the lecturer switch it on. Soon about 10 people asked the lecturer if they could do this.

You can use a dictaphone, (Officeworks is selling them at $29 :)) or like I am doing, I have the creative MuVo with about 10 hours talk time for those extended seminar sessions.

johnathan, how is criminology, work load wise??? and is it hard??? off topic, but i really wanna know, cheers

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
i read somewhere that lecturers have their lectures on the UWS site to download and copy/read back on... is that right ??

Gabs

HSC
N/A
Annegelic said:
i read somewhere that lecturers have their lectures on the UWS site to download and copy/read back on... is that right ??
Thanks for all that advice everybody. I'll probably buy a cheap recorder, such as the ones which you guys mentioned.

Annegelic, that would be great - but I'm not sure if the do/don't do it.

The only downside from taping lectures, from what i've heard - is that some people actually 'sell' their recordings. Most people are legit ofcourse, but some students sell their recordings to students whom were too lazy to attend the lecture (or might have been sick - etc). Thats why some lecturers don't like their lectures being recorded, i guess also copyright might be an issue too.

Last edited:

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
my brother goes to uws penrith, and he says that all the notes/lectures that he needs for each subject are actualy on the site... apparently UWS is the only university who has this.... but i'm not sure if its for every course/subject.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
mibiony said:
my brother goes to uws penrith, and he says that all the notes/lectures that he needs for each subject are actualy on the site... apparently UWS is the only university who has this.... but i'm not sure if its for every course/subject.
lol i like ur av mate

Jonathan A

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
johnathan, how is criminology, work load wise??? and is it hard??? off topic, but i really wanna know, cheers

Criminology is fun! Its a specific social science and encompasses policing, science, psychology and sociology units. You also have options to do some humanities. The core units focus theories and concerns, then you move into things like victims, juvenile crime, psychology of crime, forensics and crime prevention. All in all it is quite a good bit of knowledge to add to your degree.

Workload. You will find that in Crime and Criminal Justice (first semester unit), there is no exam, just three assignments. Crime and Criminology will have either an in-tutorial test or take-home exam. Criminology is supposedly not so much focused around exams, hence you will be doing research and applying your knowledge in assesments and presentations. Workload is fairly average, the University recommends 7 hours out of class per week for units such as these.

Jonathan A

HSC
Annegelic said:

yes this is called WebCT (Web Classroom Tools). You can visit this at elearning.uws.edu.au - you need a login though. Do note that not all lecturers use this, e.g. Introduction to Sociology 1 - lecturer did not use it.

You can only retrieve the lecture slides, some lecturers may publish their actual notes. An example of this last semester was Dr Osmond's criminology notes - we could access the notes he read from. So it varies.

Don't however, use the slides as a substitute for taking notes, and don't just copy the content on the slides (waste of time).

Jonathan A

HSC
Gabs said:
The only downside from taping lectures, from what i've heard - is that some people actually 'sell' their recordings. Most people are legit ofcourse, but some students sell their recordings to students whom were too lazy to attend the lecture (or might have been sick - etc). Thats why some lecturers don't like their lectures being recorded, i guess also copyright might be an issue too.

Do note that sort of conduct is illegal. Academic misconduct can make you real sorry if you get caught.

Jonathan A

HSC
mibiony said:

Not too sure if this is an exclusive service to our Uni. WEBCT is very popular, I think it is an american invention or copyright we are using. I do know that my class materials were available at USyd online.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I don't think that tape recording is advisable. like natstar said many lecturers have funny accents so you have to listen even harder. Its also noted that not all lecturers put their lectures up onto webct.

When in a lecture, you don't have to write everything that is usually on the powerpoint or what the lecturer says, if your subjects come with textbooks, it will make the whole lecturing thingo a lot easier. You can also just write in shorthand in the lecture then go home and re-write it in longhand so you can understand it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)