• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Tax deduction for petrol?? (1 Viewer)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
A couple of friends were arguing whether you can claim back on tax, petrol you use to go to and from your home and workplace. Can anyone confirm whether you can or not? And if you can, how would you go about doing it?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
As far as I know, you can't

The only time you can claim petrol is when you use it specifically for work (not to get there, but during the day, on work errands or something) [I think]

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
You can't. Its like trying to claim back all the money you spend on public transport.

However, I know someone who doesn't pay for petrol - their company does - but she has a company car, and travel is a major factor of her job.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Jess's right. You can only claim it on tax when it's part of work. Eg. if you were a delivery boy and you had to pay for your own fuel, you could claim the time you spent while on the clock. However, most pizza places give their employees fuel money so that they can claim it on THEIR tax.

waterfowl

HSC
/\/\ Correct

You can only claim petrol/travel as a tax deduction if you are travelling from your Primary workplace to another workplace.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
yenta said:
A couple of friends were arguing whether you can claim back on tax, petrol you use to go to and from your home and workplace. Can anyone confirm whether you can or not? And if you can, how would you go about doing it?
i would check it out at http://www.ato.gov.au/
You might be able to claim fuel as a taxable deduction

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)