• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Teacher wages (1 Viewer)

What raise is justified?

• 0%

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • 6-9% (government offer)

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • 10-12%

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • 25%

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i'm not sure the 25% increase is justified....

currently an entry-level position picks up around 40k
25% would put that to 50k.

compared to a university position entry-level position also starts at around 40k (but quickly goes up to around 50k).

and uni academic staff don't get school holidays off...
and they have to conduct research...

what do you people think?
is 25% justified?

i reckon 10-12% is justfied but not 25%

Last edited:

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
hmm im not too sure, but i do agree that teachers need a more appropriate salary and they do need to attract more graduates to the profession- i was considering being a teacher but i dont know if i wanna be that poor THEY DESERVE MORE... well most of them do, others should be all sent to an island somewhere where they can torture each other as opposed to their poor yr 12 students. but i do rekon that they could have times the strike a little better i mean hsc students only have a couple of days left... im a little pissed off about that!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i agree they deserve more but 25%.... that is just a little too extreme.

mabye they are hoping for a comprimise between their offer and the govenment offer

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
Some teachers, especially high school teachers have to put up a lot of crap.
Originally posted by imsooverskool
do rekon that they could have times the strike a little better i mean hsc students only have a couple of days left... im a little pissed off about that!
depending on the teacher, some want to help yr 12..even though it was a strike day, one teacher came to school today to finish off the syllabus, so we can start revising...personally I think teachers do deserve it.

Originally posted by imsooverskool
hmm im not too sure, but i do agree that teachers need a more appropriate salary and they do need to attract more graduates to the profession- i was considering being a teacher but i dont know if i wanna be that poor
I know...the gov talk abt the shortage of teachers in a couple of yrs, and yet they do not make it attractive in the first place, as well as cutting places in uni..our hospitals n other places r crap, but but by cutting prices, they're limiting the amount of ppl that can enroll in the nursing course.....its so crap:rolleyes:...stupid gov:chainsaw:

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
the system should be changed.....to decrease the amount of *bad-quality* teachers.....the teachers should all be on contracts...it encourages individual excelelnce and commitment from the teachers because it is unfair that the teachers who slack off and the teachers who are really willing to help are not distinguished. i mean my english teacher is a workholic, she marks sooo many of our pratcicie essays and help us during her free time...it motivates the students a lot....and compared that to some other teachers who show up 20 minz late and just get us to summarise during class time ......and some teachers take lyk a whole yr to return supposed *marked* stuff that doesnt even have a comment or grade....the differnce is just ridiculous...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
the system should be changed.....to decrease the amount of *bad-quality* teachers.....the teachers should all be on contracts...
Contracts completely eliminate what little power the union currently has, and hence destroy any collective influence the education industry may have over legislation. You can see how disastrous this would be - it would put our teachers at the complete mercy of gevernment and at total reliance upon an ignorant and politically lazy electorate.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
there first needs to be enough teachers, my english class has gone through 3 substitutes
enough teachers will coem with better pay..and other incentives to make tachers wanna come to the profession..i guess it really depends on the skool........teachers at trinity rarely change.....teachers at cabra high are about to die.

Originally posted by Lexicographer
Contracts completely eliminate what little power the union currently has, and hence destroy any collective influence the education industry may have over legislation. You can see how disastrous this would be - it would put our teachers at the complete mercy of gevernment and at total reliance upon an ignorant and politically lazy electorate.
as in contracts authorised by a colelctive body in conjunction with the govenrment. and as if unions have any power these days....in 10 yrs, unions will be completlei hopeless...especially in big factories...enterprise bargaining all the way.

Giant Lobster

HSC
what would work in my opinion is somehow make it up to the students, so the teachers actually have an incentive of doing their job well.

Bimbo

Southern Girl
Originally posted by Cyph
IMO, very few teachers deserve pay rises. Most of them deserve pay decreases.
i completely agree with that!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Dash
Teachers should be allocated a raise based on their teaching abilities....
i agree some teachers do a lot, and some nothing

however, for teachers that try and don't succeed that's very stressful

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Dash
Teachers should be allocated a raise based on their teaching abilities....
Good idea, but it would be impossible to determine. Some students should be shot instead, then teachers wouldn't winge as much.

KrispyKremeS

I think that 25% can't be too bad. I mean they wouldn't be demanding so much if they couldn't justify it.
I also agreee with Dash that their pay should be determined by their abiltiy to teach. There are heaps of techers at my school that either cannot deal with the students anymore or are just plain lazy. It's a detriment to all students that want to learn.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
they ask for more than they really know they can get... so then the govt comes to a lower agreement. it maybe lower than what they actually wanted (underlying figure) but it would be better than if they demanded say 10%(they prob wouldnt get it)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
what would work in my opinion is somehow make it up to the students, so the teachers actually have an incentive of doing their job well.
but the trouble wiht that is that system will not work at a less academic skool..... lyk think of the worest skool in syney.... say if the teacher discpliens the students..maybe he/she will copp a whole lot of slack because of it....that theory works well with only academic public skools..

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
How much do teachers get paid anyways

isn't $55k a good amount to live on

and Uni teachers/lecturers does more shit, than normal high school teachers, so i don't think is appropriate teachers get a 25% rise if the salary bracket for a teacher with 6 years experience is $55k

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
teachers dont get paid nearly enough to cover all the roles they have to take, and if they got paid a bit more maybe the "poor quality" teachers would be more motivated to deal with all the shit they have to get through each day. normal high school teachers have it a lot worse than uni lecturers, uni lecturers dont have to be counsellors and disciplinayr officers and deal with the same crap teachers do, bcos uni students are relatively well behaved and distanced from the lecturers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)