technique? (1 Viewer)

Hiheyhello

HSC
hey, can anyone find a technique in this quote besides macabre/morbid imagery?

The fatalistic repercussions of Victor’s creation are exemplified through the [insert adjective/technique] revelation that his best friend Henry “had apparently been strangled, for there was no sign of any violence except the black mark of fingers on his neck.”

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe a euphemism may apply here, particularly with "for there was no sign of any violence". Several words could've replaced the word "violence", particularly harsher/more specific words that might render the reader a bit uncomfortable. I am unsure as to the purpose of the euphemism due to my unfamiliarity with this text, but you might be able to establish a reason for its use based on your knowledge of the text.

I am struggling to determine which term or combination thereof would be most appropriate to refer to the technique used in this quote (in this case the whole quote). I am thinking along the lines of ambiguity, uncertainty, low modality and aporia. Despite the visible "black mark of fingers on his neck", I feel like the reader may still question/reflect upon what might've truly happened to Henry, mainly due to the wording of this quote, particularly "apparently", "for there was no sign" and "except". I think it might help in creating/contributing to an unstable/uncertain atmosphere.

I hope this helps! 😄

Hiheyhello

HSC
I believe a euphemism may apply here, particularly with "for there was no sign of any violence". Several words could've replaced the word "violence", particularly harsher/more specific words that might render the reader a bit uncomfortable. I am unsure as to the purpose of the euphemism due to my unfamiliarity with this text, but you might be able to establish a reason for its use based on your knowledge of the text.

I am struggling to determine which term or combination thereof would be most appropriate to refer to the technique used in this quote (in this case the whole quote). I am thinking along the lines of ambiguity, uncertainty, low modality and aporia. Despite the visible "black mark of fingers on his neck", I feel like the reader may still question/reflect upon what might've truly happened to Henry, mainly due to the wording of this quote, particularly "apparently", "for there was no sign" and "except". I think it might help in creating/contributing to an unstable/uncertain atmosphere.

I hope this helps! 😄
thanks!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)