• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

techniques... (1 Viewer)

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
Can somebody give me the affect of using these techniques..thanks:)

Irony, Repetition and metaphores...thanks

btw...im a dumass at english:)

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
Thanks, but i mean what is the effect of using those techniques..like the use of repetition creats a clear picture of the image in the readers mind.....i donno...or does irt varie in each example?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
could vary in each example

repitition - emphasising a point, yeah clear in the readers mind,
metaphors - something IS something, so it also can empasise a point
irony - i don't know what that would do exactly

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by countrydude
Can somebody give me the affect of using these techniques..thanks:)

Irony, Repetition and metaphores...thanks

btw...im a dumass at english:)
Yeah, it does depend on the context (the stuff around it and who wrote it when). But as a rule...

There are two definitions for irony. It is used for humour - be warned, this is often black humour, satire, that sort of thing. Anything you'd read and 'roll your eyes to' can be referred to as irony - sarcasm is a form of irony ("gee, thanks"). It's used to express emotions, often dislike or disapproval, but not always.

Repetition is used to emphasise a point. You know, like to make a point come across more strongly. Or to ensure the audience is aware of something you want to say. (Bad joke happening here..). It can be used for onomatopoeic effect (bang! bang! - is more effective than a single bang, sometimes)

Metaphors (no e, by the way) are used to describe an object, person, place or situation. They (and similes - there are only two 'i's in simile) are used to compare that object/thing/etc to something the audience can clearly imagine or has most likely experienced. Metaphors take it one step further by personifying an object/thing/etc - by giving it qualities, not just saying it acts 'as though it has those qualities'. Both can also be employed to give more quality to a description.

For example, rather than saying 'his face was round' saying 'his face was as round as the sun' gives you a 3D quality, as well as implying that he has a 'sunny' appearance (looks happy, or bright, or something), as well as giving us something to relate it to (we all know the sun is round). Something like 'her bedroom door was the Hellmouth' implies all sorts of nasty things. :)

HTH.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
yeah - i don't do English this year :( :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)