techniques (1 Viewer)

stressedadfff

HSC
hey guys, is there any other technique besides dialogue that could be used here?

“In quitting Donwell, he must be sacrificing a great deal of independence of hours and habits...”

“No – Mrs. Knightley; - and, till she is in being, I will manage such matters myself.”.

thanks!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
For future reference, please post any questions for specific subjects in the subject forums - not the general HSC forums. Thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I can definitely see some high modality being employed in the first quote, particularly with the use of the word "must", indicating the necessity of "sacrificing a great deal of independence of hours and habits" in order to quit Donwell.

I believe you can also talk about syntax with respect to the second quote. This is because we can definitely see a long and compound sentence, which is made more complex through the varied punctuation (hyphens/dashes, semicolon, full stop). This may have been used to indicate the importance of each word/group of words that are separated from each other through this punctuation. Such punctuation may have also been used in this quote to emphasise the high modality, once again employed in this quote, particularly with words such as "No" and "I will manage such matters myself." displaying the firmness/strength of the character's intention to address the matters themselves.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)