• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

tell me what to do (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
because i need answers from helpful ppl like you.

i want to study marketing/advertising/public relations (something in that area). i don't want to go back to UTS, where i started this yr. i got a UAI of 99.25 so i can get into most things.

where should i go and what should i do?

i'm thinking maybe B Business (marketing) at UWS... anyone else got any suggestions or advice?

i need all the replies i can get cos im totally lost on this! i wish i still had the luxury of a careers advisor

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i think the UWS course sounds real industry relevent.. :| one of my friends missed out last yr by a tiny bit :S
find out bout experiences and all the pros and cons.. cos u hav enuf time... grab their course info and ask the current students wat they do =) if u like it then hav a go ..

or just rock up to school in uniform.. and just try and convince the careers advisor :p

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Most Unis have course/career advisors/co-ordinators. Find out who the one is for the course you might consider and have a chat/email with them.

Also make sure that the reason you are trying to transfer out will not be happening at your new uni. For example if you hated certain subjects make sure the new uni does not push them on you as compulsory core subjects.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
you could probably do some marketing degree and some pr degree... some unis are fairly flexible in the type of degree you can do...

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Asquithian said:
hello spin spin

B Commerce (marketing) UNSW

http://www.marketing.unsw.edu.au/
im too humanities-based for all the accounting & macro/micro eco blah di blah blah crap.

thank you for your very comprehensive list natstar!!

is there anything at usyd? i guess just their commerce/ liberal studies would be the only option...?

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
if you're thinking about that, ask toods about it seeing as she's doing it :) (she's more often over at the 'other place'.. speaking of which, show yourself. :p you've become a ghost)

i'm at macq, the commerce (marketing) degree is meant to be pretty good but i don't know a lot about it

where do you live? It could almost come down to that

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i live about a half an hour south of sydney cbd. in the sutherland shire/. so UOW is also an option, probably the closest in terms of travel time would be usyd though, if i'm ruling out UTS. i can drive though, so travel doesnt reeeally bother me.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
oh hey, yeh b. commerce (liberal studies) is really good if you want to major in marketing and don't want to do the accounting bullshit
you also take arts subjects, and 2 science ones (most people just study the first yr psyc subjects)

it's different to arts/commerce in that-
it's 4 years instead of 5
you don't have to study all the commerce subjects like economics, accounting, statistics etc
it has a writing unit and you can also do a major in the humanities subjects provided you've done 2 commerce ones

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Toodulu said:
oh hey, yeh b. commerce (liberal studies) is really good if you want to major in marketing and don't want to do the accounting bullshit
you also take arts subjects, and 2 science ones (most people just study the first yr psyc subjects)

it's different to arts/commerce in that-
it's 4 years instead of 5
you don't have to study all the commerce subjects like economics, accounting, statistics etc
it has a writing unit and you can also do a major in the humanities subjects provided you've done 2 commerce ones
do you think i could handle the science stuff if i havent done science sinceyr 10 and failed even then??

seriously? i WANT to, but im not sure if i could do it

can you tell me what subjects you personally did, sem 2. & sem 1?? just so i get an idea of the course break up?

also i didnt realise you didnt have to do any accounting at usyd! bonus!!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Science puts a big demand on you. Personally, I'd go with an arts/humanities subject.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yeh you only have to do 2 units from the science faculty though.. most people doing com lib just take the first year psychology subjects.. that's just like any other lecture-subject. absolutely no lab work or goggles or chemicals etc.

and the course break up is VERY flexible. it's like doing arts but you do lots of subjects from the commerce faculty. it's really flexible because there are no compulsory subjects and the entire course is just electives. the only subjects you have to do are the prerequisites for your major... and this communications unit which is really cruisey and pretty interesting.

i did
sem1:
japanese
international business and politics (government)
microeconomics
accounting 1a

sem2:
japanese
communications and critical analysis
macroeconomics
business and statistics A

... so basically i did the units i needed to major in finance, and i also took japanese and 2 humanities subjects

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
cool thx for that toods. i think this may become my first pref. now? hey how come you didnt take any science units...? can you take them at any time in the course or soemthing?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yeh you only need to take 2 units so if you don't want to further any study in science then you can just take them in your final year or whenever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)