• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

testin timing (1 Viewer)

bladenia

HSC
N/A
okay just did 30mins,

on an unseen hsc paper, 1996

in 30 mins i finished up to the start of question 3. so only the first two completed

after marking i got one silly mistake, so i got 29/30

how does that compare to the rest of u guys?
should i speed up????

Rorix

HSC
guys, there's no such thing as a silly mistake.

And what does it matter how fast other people go? Go as fast as you can without compromising marks.

bladenia

HSC
N/A
alrite alrite not a silly mistake.

um, i mistooke a < for a >
so i think im pretty stupid for that in the first place. nehow, i think it matters because some ppl told me if i wanted a chance to finish the paper properly, i gotta do the first 5 or 6 really quickly or sumthin..... meh i dunno

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I tend to get part way into question 5 by 1 hour, but I lose like 4 marks in th first 4 questions because I go through them quickly.

ngai

HSC
aim to finish the entire test within no more than 3 hrs, with as few mistakes as possible

Rorix

HSC
ngai said:
aim to finish the entire test within no more than 3 hrs, with as few mistakes as possible
uh are you sure this strategy works :confused: :confused: :confused:

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
bladenia said:
okay just did 30mins,

on an unseen hsc paper, 1996

in 30 mins i finished up to the start of question 3. so only the first two completed

after marking i got one silly mistake, so i got 29/30

how does that compare to the rest of u guys?
should i speed up????
Like the smarties said, do what works for you. :)

I normally do the first two in a few minutes under the half hour, but the others take a fait bit longer = me not finishing paper or skipping stuff. woo.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Hey Wilson...
For the first 4 questions say, I try to get a rate of 10-12 min/Q and hope to get up to Q6 done within 70-80 minutes. That way you have about 1 and a half hours to do q7 and 8, not that they'd require that much time, but say 30 min to each then you'll have half an hour for checking.

But I must say 30 minutes for the first 2 questions seems a bit long for me. Having said that, do not rush, marks lost early in the paper will punish you severely.

Haha, If only everyone can do that Ngai.

ngai

HSC
SeDaTeD said:
For the first 4 questions say, I try to get a rate of 10-12 min/Q and hope to get up to Q6 done within 70-80 minutes. That way you have about 1 and a half hours to do q7 and 8, not that they'd require that much time, but say 30 min to each then you'll have half an hour for checking.
lol r u here just to make others feel bad?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ngai said:
I fucken reckon, 10-12 mins is an unrealistic expectation for all but a few of the 4u candidates. I could probably do integration and possibly complex in like 12, but none of the other sections.

Rorix

HSC
q1 in 5 minutes boys, q1 in 5 minutes.

the trick is writing like it's english:)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rorix said:
q1 in 5 minutes boys, q1 in 5 minutes.

the trick is writing like it's english:)
I find I can only just make 3u Q1 in 5 mins:p

Rorix

HSC
masturbate, i heard it helps your writing speed ^_^

and if it doesnt work, at least you had fun

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rorix said:
masturbate, i heard it helps your writing speed ^_^

and if it doesnt work, at least you had fun
Been there, tried that.

CrashOveride

HSC
I can pull off 3unit first 2 questions under 9min.

4unit first question i rkn is easily down about 7min. 2nd question takes me bit longer, maybe 12-15min. But what i fall down on is q3, when i hit the graphs i seem to take just 10min on the graph component of q3, im taking extra time to draw the axes properly and make sure the shape of curves are right etc. Anyone got tips for speed here.....?

the remainder of the questons well hmm i try to get up to q7/8 with an hour or so left so as to give about 30min to each....speed is definitely crucial in 3u and i didnt think it would be all that bad in 4u, BUT still if u take extra i dunno 5min per question on some of the earliy quetions its better to make sure u got em all right then to lose some easy marks in the end

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
if you are aiming to get 96+, you need to finish first 4 questions in the first hour.
:D

there was a fairly big discussion of this, and giants like Spice Girl contributed. Search for it in the 4u forum, i can't be bothered. but i remember spice girl said that. four questions - one hour.

and as for 3u, most 4u students should be finishing the whole 3u paper in less than an hour. :-\

integration shouldn't take you much more than 7ish minutes, unless it's a really hard question 1. :-S Only time it takes long is when you get stupid recurrence stuff, or t formula. hmm. half of question one is:
integrate: 1 / 4 + x^2
or something like that. It's rote. it's question ONE. :-\

first four questions in the first hour. aim for that. just remember, the speed depends on the paper. :)

and whoever said it takes them 9 minutes to do a 3u question one.... T__T
SPEED UP!

SeDaTeD

HSC
ngai said:
Whoops. I apologise if it did. I never intended that.
But it depends on the trial. Some easier ones i can do pretty fast but others may push me a bit back than what I'd like. But if I'm at 30 minutes after Q2 I start to panic and might get put off focus. How I pace myself depends on how q7 and 8 look like. But I can't say, this'll be my actual HSC so I'd probably be a lot more careful to try to avoid mistakes.

As for 3u, bleh I haven't been able to do it in under an hour. Might be attributed to how little attention I pay into studying it, I make so many mistakes in it and forget little things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)