Textbooks (Merged) (1 Viewer)

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
What textbook/s do you use?

Any good?
Do you buy your own textbooks/study guides (eg. excel)?

Adrian.

HSC
(^o^) said:
Any good?
Do you buy your own textbooks/study guides (eg. excel)?
At the moment I'm using Fitzpatrick and Cambridge. I plan on getting Success One when they have the 2004 paper in there as well. I have an old Coroneus as well but havn't got around to using that yet.

*sarah*

HSC
Maths in Focus, Fitzpatrick
The former is good to get your head around everything, the later good for harder questions

Linda N

HSC
N/A
I recommend you to use the Maths in Focus textbook first, for basic questions and precise theory, then use Fitzpatrick or Cambridge for harder practice questions.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
but i hate MIF with a passion since yr 11... haha oh well.
I know that book is good to get u started, i should learn to love my maths textbook.

@ Adrian.: cool~ I can ask you questions from the cambridge book if i'm not sure. =P

HSC
at school we use mainly use jones and couchman and for a few topics, MIF. at home for revision i use excel fast track and get smart and for the harder stuff it's fitzpatrick. i do have cambridge @ home but i hardly ever use it. i should work on that more. it's a shame my school doesn't use fitzpatrick (teacher said it acts like a 3u text...wtf???) and we have to rely on jones & couchman for the hard questions in the exams. MIF is ok for the basics.

cimbom

HSC
We use jones+couchman as well, extremely old. but everybody's talking about how great fitzpatrick is... i don't know. excel is good for explaining things, cambridge is a little complex to understand but okay.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
MIF, Fitz

Mif: OK. examples aren't that great
Fitz: Some good hard q's...

rama_v

HSC
We use cambridge for 2 unit and Fitzpatrik for 3 unit. Cambridge is ok, but sometimes they have the most confusing methods of solving problems, e.g they completely stuffed up with the simpsons rule and the trapezoidal rule IMO. But its still good. Fitzpatrik for 3 unit goes like this:
First 5 questions are easy
Next 5 are very difficult
Next 5, you will be lucky to get 3 questoins
The other 50 are beyond impossible questions which not even our techer (who did 4 unit and did maths at uni) can get.
thats how I found it for some of the topics, anyway, especially "simple" locus problems.

Last edited:

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
We used Maths in Focus, Fitzpatrick, and... wait for it... Jones and Couchman! But my tutor also grabbed Corones for me... I'd recomend them all in the following order, MIF when learning the work, Jones And Couchman at the same time. Fitzpatrick and Corones for exam study, and general study. Well, thats what I did.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i used jones and couchman but my dad still had corones from when he was at school in the 70s. exact same book. it was freaky

HSC
Are there any textbooks that have worked answers to all questions besides excel. I've been working ahead of my class with MIF, and by the end of 1st term I should have finished that, so I want something a bit more difficult with worked answers so I can learn how to tackle the harder Q;s.

Adrian.

HSC
Silver Persian said:
Are there any textbooks that have worked answers to all questions besides excel. I've been working ahead of my class with MIF, and by the end of 1st term I should have finished that, so I want something a bit more difficult with worked answers so I can learn how to tackle the harder Q;s.
AFAIK there are no textbooks with worked solutions. Past paper books and study guides, yes. But no textbooks. This is a pity because I know I'd buy a textbook with worked solutions (as long as it was decent).

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
yellow fitzpatrick is the only book ull ever need for 2u >=P

best book ever

Yaz88

CEO
HSC
which cambridge u talking bout there are 2 one wit a church and other with a blue cover and a tick??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)