• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Textual Integrity - Hamlet (1 Viewer)

Viru10

HSC
Hey guys,

We've just started Hamlet for our Module B text, and I am trying to get a paragraph written out as a draft just to see where I am at. I just wanted to inquire; what exactly is "textual integrity" and how are we supposed to use it in a response? If anyone can possibly tell me what it means and how for example I could relate it to Hamlet, It would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Source: HSC Online
The definition of textual integrity in the Stage 6 English Syllabus is:
"the unity of a text; its coherent use of form and language to produce an integrated whole in terms of meaning and value" (page 143)

To determine the textual integrity of a text, we will consider:

* use of language
* structure

and the extent to which these produce an integrated whole in terms of

* meaning and value.
Other links you should look at:
http://community.boredofstudies.org...dy-texts/194330/textual-integrity-hamlet.html
Past HSC and Practice Questions for Advanced Module B: Hamlet � Tutor Tales
The textual integrity of Hamlet - William Shakespeare Forums

Last edited:

beachee99

HSC
pretty much Textual Integrity ... is how well the story sticks together ... how cohesive AND coherent it is.
If a plot is jumping everywhere - characters and language are fickle you could determine this to LACK textual integrity.
i might say this about Hamlet's delay as well as the ambiguity over Claudius's guilt ... the on and off of the madness etc can contribute to an argument that Hamlet lacks textual integrity.
On the other hand this is all in accordance with Hamlet's statements that he is "feigning madness" so in the sense that its all part of an elaborate 'plan' means it would maintain textual integrity as the fickle nature of the character and plot is deliberate.

lol sorry been 4 months since i did this ... but hope it helped

Viru10

HSC
Hey. thanks for the help :)

But also one more question, where would i talk about textual integrity in my essay? like would i just briefly mention it in bodies? or talk about it in the intro?

jellybelly59

HSC
Hey. thanks for the help :)

But also one more question, where would i talk about textual integrity in my essay? like would i just briefly mention it in bodies? or talk about it in the intro?
no your entire essay has to sustain the notion that hamlet as a text maintains its textual integrity. It doesn't have to be blunt like 'hamlet has textual integrity' but as long as you make reference and then support with examples/quotes as to how hamlet has textual integrity then you would have fulfilled that requirement for module b.

e.g. hamlet is cool to future audiences (god this is a bad example) because it is relevant to them through the notion of corruption, power and deceit which is so prominent in modern day society.

In this example you bring in the idea of 'timeless value' subtly.

Tooty Fruity

HSC
Textual Integrity is a discussion regarding the ways that texts are altered from their original to be more relatable and understandable for contemporary audiences. The original Hamlet is the text to which all discussion regarding textual integrity revolves around, as you must refer to the values, language and setting of this initial composition and then reflect this to the newer versions such as films and current theatre production of it - if you go and see one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)