• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

TFN and jobs (1 Viewer)

hatty

Banned
if an employer doesn't ask for ur TFN, what does that mean? does it mean the income u make wont get taxed and centrelink wont know about it or something?

HSC
they might just want to give you cash in hand, like an under the table kind of thing i guess. not sure if that's completely legal - you might want to ask them about it. but i imagine centrelink would have no way of knowing unless you told them.

hatty

Banned
they told me to bring my bank account details so they'll probably put the money in the bank, will centrelink or the ATO still know about do you think?

Collin

HSC
N/A
If they don't ask for your TFN at all, it's probably just a cash on hand deal (even if it's into your bank account). Great deal since you won't get taxed, but it's illegal and you're screwed if the government finds out.

hatty

Banned
could the company be up to some illegal stuff? and how easy is it for the government to find out

Collin

HSC
N/A
Probably not that high, but remember you have to claim alot of things on those Centerlink forms you regularly might have to re-do. Centerlink might cross-check with your bank account transactions with the Taxation Office and if they find out you've been getting paid like you would be but not getting taxed.. well, you'll be in for some flak.

The best deal for avoiding this shit is if you get them to just pay you in your hands, once a week or whatever at somewhere not public and that it's just a deal between you and your employer... no one else hears or knows about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)