• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The 2007 NSW election- cynicism (1 Viewer)

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
There is this growing cynicism amongst the people of NSW that regardless of which political party is in power that the same problems will exist in the same key areas of policy, so why change?

The main concern with this assumption is that as the Federal Labor party were, the NSW Opposition is untested and quite frankly noone really knows how different their governing practices will actually be. However, there is a stark difference between the peformance of the two respective governments at a federal and state level.

Federally the problems that existed in government were of a much more minor magnitude than those that exist within the NSW political ranks. Bob Carr's government has a lot more to be concerned about especially in relation to the Police force, Health system, education system (and no Im not talking about funding) and the continual mismanagement and misprioritising within the public service.

This gives rise to the fact that at a state level the people of NSW have a much more extensive ground on which they can base their reasoning behind voting for a change of governemnt in 2007 as oppose to the federal election last year.
However despite this thought, the Carr government will be voted back in regardless of their performance in the key policy areas. All because the people of this country are too cynical when it comes to providing state oppostion parties with the chance of being able to prove themselves as effective governing bodies.

What are everyones thoughts...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Labor I dont think have lost it for 2007 yet, they wont until mid next year if they do.

In any case Albury will stay what it is, we are not exposed to the news of the rest of the state, so see no problems about city rail and police funding in NSW. However, we could tell you most of Victoria's. This is the same across the southern NSW seats.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
obviously, because the majority of voters vote depending on the status quo. if the status quo are dilapidated hospitals, run-down schools, awful public transport system then the current government may get voted out... but having said that, the current condition of the state of New South Wales is still at a level where the bad is tolerable, and the good is good. therefore, the majority would not prefer change.

firehose

HSC
Yeah the state-maintained services are pretty terrible, most notably the trains.

But until the NSW Liberal opposition gets some people-pulling leader then they aren't gonna have the killer punch to bring down Bob Carr. Who actually wants John Brodgen as premier anyway??

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I plan to run as an Independent for the state seat of Wentworthville in the next election. I'd like to see a candidate whose First priority is the electorate, not the party.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Both parties are pretty much interchangeable. The only reason to vote one out and the other in is to make them think their place isn't safe so they have to get off their arse and do something to get voters behind them.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
Phanatical said:
I plan to run as an Independent for the state seat of Wentworthville in the next election. I'd like to see a candidate whose First priority is the electorate, not the party.
That'll never happen

The only thing I like about Bob Carr is that he is a better public speaker than brogden (but that's no reason to vote for him). It is irritation the way he always says "MY government"...as my father always reminds me... "It's not his bloody government!!!!!"

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
he's gonna retire. I think about the middle of this year... I heard a while back that he wanted to go federal, but that's never gonna happen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)