the castle (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
you little ripppppppper! watched it today and it was so remarkably brilliant and witty :)

was the movie based on actual events?
is there a law in the constitution which allows for 'compulsory acquirement' of homes?
do high court judges reserve the right to decide the outcome of a case given emotional appeals?
what exactly was the tasmanian dams case?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
inasero said:
you little ripppppppper! watched it today and it was so remarkably brilliant and witty :)

is there a law in the constitution which allows for 'compulsory acquirement' of homes?
do high court judges reserve the right to decide the outcome of a case given emotional appeals?
I've seen this but I cant answer your questions :uhhuh: but...

Tasmanian Dam case ( I should know this...I cant find it in my book but by memory...some things might be a bit wrong)

Tasmanian Dam case basically - where Tassy govt. was going to allow for the building of a dam, but the Aust. govt said that it was against a treaty that they has signed and enacted into domestic legislation. The case was heard in the high court as it was a dispute between State and Federal laws, usually a Federal law would prevail (s 109 constitution) but the state was arguing that the law by the aus. govt was ultra vires. However the Aust. Govt used External Affairs Power S.51 (29) Constitution to sign the treaty and enact the principles into domestic law... so the hgih court found the law made by the fed govt to be made with correct power thus federal law prevailed...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
inasero said:
Yes:
COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA CONSTITUTION ACT - SECT 51

Legislative powers of the Parliament

The Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to:

(xxxi)
the acquisition of property on just terms from any State or person for any purpose in respect of which the Parliament has power to make laws;
The point was whether the acquisition was "on just terms".

Reading your approval of The Castle I would also recommend the film, The Man Who Sued God, with Billy Connely

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
The scenario was completly fictional, the law was bona fide.

That movie got me into law. God, it's a ripper.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
the law was "good faith"? what do you mean?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
inasero said:
the law was "good faith"? what do you mean?
He means the legal side of the movie was accurate... though perhaps not the best use of the term hehe

inasero

Reborn
HSC
ok i see :)
does somebody care to answer my third question? I would be much obliged~

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
He means the legal side of the movie was accurate... though perhaps not the best use of the term hehe
lol
Sorry 'bout that. I was using it how my English teacher does.

In not answering your third question, I suppose anyone familiar with Wik or Mabo could help you out...those cases remind me of 'Teh' Castle.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Gavrillo said:
I suppose anyone familiar with Wik or Mabo could help you out...those cases remind me of 'Teh' Castle.
Well... it's the general... vibe... of the Constitution...

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Denuito was teh bomb!

In my last Frontline essay, I called the actor who played Marty, Denis Denuito...I lost marks, but I was wrapped.

Just like last year where I lost out on the English Ext1 award 'cause in a satirical narrative on gender roles in Australia I couldn't bring myself to be feminist. I just left the lines, without irony, as:

- "Yes, women have rights. The right to suck my cock and the right to shut the fuck up being just two"
-"What? You think I'm sexist? Awwww, let me smack those falsities outta you"

Just like my lesbian English teacher would've wanted...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Santow (my old lecturer) put a large red exclamation point next to it

but he is a Castle fan, so it went alrite :)

santaslayer

HSC
inasero said:

That's an old movie...

u suck..:p

if they wanna build a freeway on top of ur home then yes...ur screwed...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
great rebuttal mate! im sure you will do well in your future career, whatever that may be

X

xeuyrawp

inasero said:
great rebuttal mate! im sure you will do well in your future career, whatever that may be
Hahah. Good counter-retort.

I'm sure poohbear will slide in soon and inform us of how we've been going astray, but in the mean time...

The movie was great, and its simplicity and explicit morals make it a really fun film.

santaslayer

HSC
inasero said:
why do i cop so much shit from u??...:p

what's more...It aint a rebuttal...since i have no intention of rebutting anything...because u never told me u didn't suck...if u told me u rocked...THEN it would be a rebuttal...not a very good rebuttal...but one neverthelest...:)

use something more appropriate...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)