• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

the declining UAI for international communication (1 Viewer)

ooohyoko

HSC
can anybody explain it? ive put it down as my first preference but im a little worried about the dramatic drop in popularity, as it would seem.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Because of its popularity, there has been a greater budget accounted to it.

The UAI is not a measure of the course, its a measure of space/quota. Of this year, the space for IntComm was increased by more spots than the previous years and so was able to take on more students.

Kegs

HSC
And that is why they call him 'Webgod' lord of all, champion of the masses, filmer of gamers... asylum.

X

xeuyrawp

Argh... I'm sure I was informed during the HSC. The shit UAC terminology makes it bad, though.

ooohyoko: As asylum pretty much said, UAI cutoffs work like this:

The university says 'we want x amount of students in y degree'. Students who apply for it are ranked, highest to lowest UAI. Assuming the course fills up (most do), the student with the lowest UAI who gets into y degree essentially sets the 'cutoff' for that year.

eg,

Macquarie says 'we want 100 students in 2008's BIntStud degree.'. The students who apply for it might have a UAI range of 100-3 points. The 98th, 99th, 100th, 101st ranked students might have 84.55, 84.55, 84.50, 84.50, 83.45 UAIs, respectively. That means the cutoff for that year will be 84.50, simply because that's the lowest UAI which got a student in - ie the last student through the door.

However, the UAI is not actually a cutoff - it never cuts anyone off. Rather, the ranking cuts people off, and most universities currently rank high school leavers according to UAI. In reality, you are also competing against non-recent school leavers and transferees, in some cases - these people are also ranked like you.

It is a really shit way of entry because a lot of students say 'well the uai cutoff is 80, I'll get in'. This is crap; the ranking for previous years may have been one mark, but it may not be the same.

That is why the 'cutoffs' are not actually cutoffs, and why previous 'UAI entry cutoffs' are just general indicators.

edited for spellings. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

dracover

HSC
well also the fall in uai requirements is across numerous areas have u seen the uai fall for acst course damn my degree is now so devalued.

my cut off was like 99 now its like 95 wtf !!! hahah but alls good as long as u get wat u want does it matter wat others think? just enjoy uni mate.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its because MQ started offering DFEE recently, when we didn't originally, so there has been more places opened up across the university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)