The Departed (1 Viewer)

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Comes out soooon!

I LOVED Infernal Affairs (the original with Tony Leung and Andy Lau), so this'd better be good.

the last laugh
HSC
Hahah I'm not really into the facial hair but my inner Year 5/6/7 schoolgirl can't wait to see him in another film :eek:

walrusbear

HSC
the reviews are hyping this big time, and i only hope they're not lying when they say 'best since goodfellas'
here's hoping it's better than infernal affairs, which was pretty overrated.
bring on thursday!

lengy

HSC
OMFG The Departed looked good. I didn't know it was based of Infernal Affairs! Definately watching this! Thanks Bubz.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Yeah this looks fantastic, all the reviews I've read so far have praised it, so I hope they're right

spiny norman

HSC
I thought Infernal Affairs did not live up to the promise of such a good film concept, so I hope this manages to do so. While I do generally find Scorsese really quite overrated, I think that when he's on form he really is fantastic (though sadly he's terribly inconsistent).

Nevertheless, I have high hopes for this, and look to be seeing it on the weekend.

icecreamdisco

HSC
i'm seeing this tomorrow, maybe one of the early 10AM screenings (don't have anyone to go with yet; hate seeing films alone with giant audiences).

87 on metacritic, 92 on rottentomatoes. jesus.

walrusbear

HSC
did it live up to expectations? (anyone seen it??)

i can't go till saturday :(

icecreamdisco

HSC
obscenely entertaining. not a all-out scorsese masterpiece like taxi driver or raging bull (lacks an emotional punch to compare to those two), but as far as tight, mean crime thrillers go, you can't get much better. that might provoke a 'is that all?' reaction, but in this case, it's more than enough. i wanna see it again, now!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I just saw it. The trailer does NOT do it justice.

I absolutely love Dignum's (sp?) character. The "angry" cop in which you "have to get use to".

icecreamdisco

HSC
walrusbear said:
i still have a big grin on my face

simply awesome
when the rat crawled across the balcony railing, i was all :eek:

but as for discussion, was matt damon's character sexually abused by the priests in his childhood? marty keeps the details really subtle, but i got that impression by his hyper-macho behaviour, agressive flirting with the psychiatrist chick, and his homophobia - especially in the scene as he's introduced making a homophobic comment during the football game, and then prattling on about 'homos' while staring at the chapel in front of him.

anyway, i can't stop thinking about this film. i'll prolly see it again after classes on tuesday.

walrusbear

HSC
i hadn't considered matt damon's sexuality - that could make some sense. he sure had issues with the firemen rugby team :p he also had trouble performing in bed and reacted awkwardly to alec baldwin's mention that a wedding ring made you more trustworthy because it 'proved you weren't a faggot'...
there are small details hinting that way.
the priest scene confused me. did jack have a former relationship with the nun? he had information over the priest in regards to paedophilia, and it makes sense to be matt's character (we saw him as a kid).

i thought there were closet homophobe moments from jack nicholson. about the only time he lost the smile from his face was when his slapper suggested the mention of 'his arse' gave him a boner. she quickly covered with a blowie :p

in the lobby of the theatre one review described the rat imagery as 'overwrought' :( there's not pleasing some people.

it deserves another watch for sure
i'ma checkout the little miss sunshine movie first. can't tell if it will be sentimental-but-ok or outright awful.

icecreamdisco

HSC
walrusbear said:
the priest scene confused me. did jack have a former relationship with the nun? he had information over the priest in regards to paedophilia, and it makes sense to be matt's character (we saw him as a kid).
i have no idea, that scene really stumped me. still, 2nd viewing soon.

i didn't like little miss sunshine much when i saw it at the sydney film festival, but it has its charms. mostly cos of the cast. everyone else disagrees, though.

lengy

HSC
I dunno, it thought it was just okay. It might have something to do with me loving Infernal Affairs, which this movie is based on, and knowing the plot already so I didn't enjoy it as much. There were some good scenes and I guess it was an alright film, but the elevator scene was awkward, and I came out rather depressed by it all.

Pilgrim

HSC
I was expecting a much better movie. The ending was pathetic.
So everyone just shoots each other and everyone dies? Pointless IMO.

The plot had more holes than swiss cheese and matt damons character was an asshole.

Last edited by a moderator:

the last laugh
HSC
It was good - I definitely laughed a lot - but not as good as Infernal Affairs. I thought IA was much more intense and better structured.... but the acting was great - I especially loved Mark Wahlberg's character even though it took a while to get used to. Oh and I found it amusing in the part where they're selling computer chips to the Asians... BOTH the translator and the dodgy Chinese buyers had heavy Western accents whilst speaking Cantonese :p

What happened at the beginning? I was late and got there when Sullivan was being congratulated by Costello in the car.

I agree with Pilgrim - I didn't like the end.

(Spoilers for Infernal Affairs)
In Infernal Affairs, there WERE originally two cops who knew Costigan's true identity, but one of them died early in the movie - so there wasn't a Dignam character or another guy who knew him (like the big guy who also got shot at the lifts). So only Costigan and Costello's other mole die - Sullivan gets promoted, etc etc. No one to come and avenge him, bad guy wins...

Oh, and in IA, Costigan and Queenan's method of communication was through morse code - I thought that was brilliant and I wish it was in this one :(

Hmm.. more later

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Whoah I can't wait to see this, will it still be in the cinema's around mid-November?

lengy

HSC
Yeah, I thought the ending was something Quintin Tarantino would do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)