• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The 'derivative' of a sequence. (2 Viewers)

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Does this 'sequence derivative' have a proper term? It comes up all the time in informatics. I've always called it the 'delta array' for lack of a better term. And there's also its 'integral' equivalent, which we call the cumulative array, where the nth term is the sum of terms 0..n. That one has the nice property that you can construct it in linear time with

Code:
cum[0] = arr[0]
for i = 1 to n
  cum[i] = arr[i] + cum[i-1]
and then perform range sum queries in constant time; the sum of elements i..j can be found with a single operation, cum[j] - cum[i-1] (or just cum[j] if i == 0)

braintic

HSC
N/A
Would a moderator please move this thread elsewhere. It is not high school maths.

seanieg89

HSC
Would a moderator please move this thread elsewhere. It is not high school maths.
The induction question is very much high school maths. The exploration at the end is only for people who want to look at it further.

seanieg89

HSC
Does this 'sequence derivative' have a proper term? It comes up all the time in informatics. I've always called it the 'delta array' for lack of a better term. And there's also its 'integral' equivalent, which we call the cumulative array, where the nth term is the sum of terms 0..n. That one has the nice property that you can construct it in linear time with

Code:
cum[0] = arr[0]
for i = 1 to n
  cum[i] = arr[i] + cum[i-1]
and then perform range sum queries in constant time; the sum of elements i..j can be found with a single operation, cum[j] - cum[i-1] (or just cum[j] if i == 0)
Probably, I have not done much informatics. It is a pretty natural construction to make, (as is the summatory analogue).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)