The Jury System established in NSW when??? (1 Viewer)

Purple 2

HSC
hi
i was wondering if someone could please tell me when the jury system was first put into practice in NSW please and wat the first case was.
also does anyone know when they changed the 11-1 instead of 12-0 please.
thanks.

bored6

HSC
Purple 2 said:
hi
i was wondering if someone could please tell me when the jury system was first put into practice in NSW please and wat the first case was.
also does anyone know when they changed the 11-1 instead of 12-0 please.
thanks.
2006?

I think it was. But I remember it only being for select cases.

Kabbasi

HSC
I'm unsure about juries, but I'd assume that it might have started when the first Jury Act was implemented, which I think was 1977, because you'd need them to be covered by law and it would have been stupid if they had juries and no law.

The '11-1 jury' was influenced by the case concerning Bruce Burrell (R v. Burrell if you like) and the fact that there had been excessive deliberation to reach a decision but a number of jurors were not submitting to a guilty verdict. In November 2005 Parliament introduced a bill that could allow juries to reach 11-1 verdicts in criminal cases - but I'm not sure if that was when it was made into statute or just introduced into Parliament for deliberation. A good statistic is that every year 80 criminal cases in NSW end in a hung jury. By the way I have no idea what the first case was which was heard with these.

Thankyou for reading my clearly awesome rant.

:santa: :santa: :santa: :santa::santa: :santa:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)