• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (1 Viewer)

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
has anyone read this book?
i think it has the most gorgeous depiction of heaven.

the book is sad, and some is based on true facts, which happened to the author, but just the way she writes about how heaven is, is just so gorgeous.

if you have read it, discuss, if not, i recommend this book.
and if you dont like it, each to thier own, but i really liked this book. even though it did make me sad and teary at times.

Ellie-Bee

HSC
yeah i wanna read it - its selling heaps fast (i work in a bookshop!!) pretty popular book, i'll have to check it out!:)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
This is the book that I've been wanting to read for about 2 years but STILL havent gotten around to it...gahh

teaspoon

HSC
It's such a beautiful book, especially considering the context. It's definitely one of my favourites that I can keep going back to. If you haven't read it, then read it :uhhuh:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
this book is without doubt my favourite book in the world. the way it deals with life and death and family.

the heaven is beautiful in it's simplicity, the fact that it isnt this super-special world, people still get sad, it's so real.

i espescially like how it doesnt just focus on the main character, it shows the journey (argh, never thought i'd have 2 use THAT word again) of the whole family.

anyone who hasnt read it, HAS TO READ IT RIGHT NOW

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
I read it a while ago but I still remember it being a very good read. Like mmm_sofay said, the descriptions of heaven are just gorgeous.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
It's a great book. She's deals with such disturbing issues in such an elegant way, it's very impressive. It's worth having a read of her autobiography 'lucky' (if you can stomache it. It starts with her rape and goes on from there) for the insight it gives into her person. You can really see how her life experiences have come out in 'The lovely bones'.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
This book is great!! It really makes you think about the whole "storyline" differently because of the perspective....haven't read anything else like it.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
KFunk said:
It's a great book. She's deals with such disturbing issues in such an elegant way, it's very impressive. It's worth having a read of her autobiography 'lucky' (if you can stomache it. It starts with her rape and goes on from there) for the insight it gives into her person. You can really see how her life experiences have come out in 'The lovely bones'.
i read Lucky. somewhat distirbing, but a great read. She is a strong lady.

still waiting

HSC
I agree i love the book and the way that it deals with death and the authors depiction of what heaven is like and i have to admit i cried when i read it too id like to think thats what heavens really like....

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
I cried my heart out when I read the book back in Year 9. So beautifully written and captured the emotions so well *__* Definitely on top of my list <3

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
i read it a while ago, so it's not fresh in my mind, but i did love it. It was so moving, yes i cried too.

though i never realised it was based on her life and experiences. Such a sweet story even though it is twisted and creepy.

Scotty Mate

I believe in Saturday's SMH (Spectrum cover story) it mentioned that this book would be Peter Jackson's next film after Lord of the Rings and King Kong.....I do think it is a great book, but also ever so unsettling.

I$@-B3LLA-

HSC
hey guys!!
wat do u think about using Alice ssebolds lovely bones as a related text for imaginative journeys??
does it relate and in which way?? techniques used, quotes, etc..
i really need ur help!!
thanx..

Abbeygale

HSC
Scotty Mate said:
I believe in Saturday's SMH (Spectrum cover story) it mentioned that this book would be Peter Jackson's next film after Lord of the Rings and King Kong.....I do think it is a great book, but also ever so unsettling.
I knew that when I was reading the book, but I can't possibly imagine the film being good. The bits that are great about the book wouldn't carry over to film well, I think.

I disagree that her vision of heaven is beautiful. I would hate it there. I thought that was the whole point- like the anecdote she tells at the beginning said, she's trapped in her perfect world. No matter how wonderful it is, how many ice cream cones and art classes and puppies they fling at her, she's isolated from her family and everyone she loves.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
yea i read this book and used it as a piece for imaginative journeys... new perspectives and challenges concrete views of "heaven". emotional journey where a new understanding is found through real experience, not retrospection.. or some shit like that...i remember quoting something about the lovely bonds that can only b formed after she was gone.. or something...

i don't think this book deserves such high commendation, although it is surely not crap. sure its style is different and not like most books... it's blunt in an almost elegant way...but its not worth such high commendation. and i dont agree with the way she describes heaven... as being beautiful... how so? yes it does look at death in a new way, but i dont see books as "beautifu;" if they make u cry... i think they can only truly capture my sense if they can make me cry and laugh at the exact time. The Lovely bones didn't do that to me.. The Power of One did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)