The Name (1 Viewer)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
It's safe to say we all want to come up with a name for our MW that is highly original, or encompasses the entire plot, concept or theme, or is witty and satirical, or is metaphorical, or is instantly engaging and exciting.

To anyone who can get all of that in a title, well, kudo's to you, but I just wanted to see what we've all named (2005 and 2006 year - why not eh) our MW's.

I'm a 2006'er hovering around the 3k word mark, its been named 'A Fragile Grey'

You?

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
wow, i hate you. i did mine this yr... and at this time last year... i dont think id even started... and i didnt name my story until... about... two weeks before i had to hand it in...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
That's very impressive! Good on you!:)
My Major was essentially a transformation of Cinderella where she sold herself for happiness and Charming was blinded by futile desires - in the end they both neuter their own wants and needs for what they think is a 'happy ending'. Hence I gave it the title 'Fairy Tale Ending'.

To the 06ers out there - don't worry too much if you haven't got a name yet, the concept changes so many times that its often futile trying to pin down what you will call it unless you are quite a way through the piece.:)

Last edited:

namdog

HSC
i'm a 2006'er and I haven't started writing yet, I'm just researching at the moment. I haven't even though about giving it a name!!

HSC
N/A
Wow, someone's thinking about a name? *backtracks* Wow, someone has written 3k words? *backtracks even more* Wow, someone's already got a solid concept? Whoo... that's good work this early in the year!

For most people, the right title will just "come" one day... it'll be something that feels incredibly "right". No need to rush it :)

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I think i was still up to the first of my three concepts at this stage. And to answer the question of the thread, my major was called 'Ages' (poetry). Crazy people with 3k words already...

HSC
Go You Good Thing!

hey i was one of "those" who actually started before 2 weeks before it was due (although i am sure i wont do that well, i know i didnt suffer the stress a lot of my friends did).
the VERY BEST THING you can do it FORCE yourself to just write and get it all out ASAP and then you can spend time fiddling and doing what you want to refine it. then you will not be handing in a 1st draft and you can sleep before trials (when it is usually due)
that is my advice.
oh an also that you have to know what you are doing is going to change, lol MINE SURE DID. hehe reading my 1st journal was funny

gorgo31

HSC
I think titles are either the easiest thing for someone or the hardest. Most of the people in my class found it really hard, so just took a piece of their research and appropriated a title from that to make it look profound, which always an option. Or just go with something that sounds cool :D

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
It becomes infinitely harder when you need to find more than one title (e.g if you do poetry or a collection of short stories).

HSC
N/A
gorgo31 said:
I think titles are either the easiest thing for someone or the hardest. Most of the people in my class found it really hard, so just took a piece of their research and appropriated a title from that to make it look profound, which always an option. Or just go with something that sounds cool :D
I think it's good for everyone to have a working title. And from there, you can use trial and error - it's infinately easy to alter something that already exists, as has been mentioned earlier :)

J

jhakka

Names in general were always difficult for me. I have enough trouble trying to get decent names for characters and places. Don't get me started on the title.

3000 words at this stage is very impressive, as was said before. :)

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
3k? Wow, I'm impressed. Well done!

My title, "Into the Hoods", just came to me one day on the bus. My story was a contemporary adaptation of Hansel and Gretel, and the title just seemed to fit. Obviously it seems to echo the title of the musical "Into the Woods", but I'm sure that was subconsciously intentional. As instead of Hansel and Gretel going into the hoods, they go into the seedy city 'hoods. :D

As glitterfairy said, the title will just come to you one day and it will feel right. The working title for my story had been something horrendously crap like "Burning the Witch in her own Oven".

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
names are always really easy for me, but titles are sooo hard. i can never think of good titles. my teacher sugested a whole heaps of titles and i thought The Executioner's Song was bloody perfect. it just fit so well.
i just cant believe youre that far into the story, i wish i had been at that time.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Thanks for the news guys, I kinda lied as its about 2996 words, but I'll just add 'Temporary four word sentence.' to bump it over for a while lol.

I'd been working my concept over the holidays prior to the course though, all my lurking in this forum taught me what this course was about and it kind of stayed on my mind over the holidays until it seemed logical what I wanted to write about.

Course, I'm already fretting about the class of my words regarding as to whether they're good enough, our teacher made it pretty clear that the expected standard for a short story ext2 english was pretty darn huge.

Names have never really been a problem for me, two main characters in mine are named Tanaka and Paul. Tanaka is paying homage to 'The Ringmaster' and Paul is just a name of a friend hehe.

Titles though, I could waste hours just thinking of it. In my journal I have this gigantic mindmap of practically every noun in my story, and that got me 'A Fragile Grey', but knowing me it's sure to change at least 10 times before it gets handed in.

Im a sucker for leaving things late and not doing journals, and considering the entire ext2 course *is* an assignment, I figured i'd better get going lol.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
666_blessings said:
It becomes infinitely harder when you need to find more than one title (e.g if you do poetry or a collection of short stories).
Agreed, that'd be a bastard to get done.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
ScottyG said:
I'm a 2006'er hovering around the 3k word mark
How many lessons have you actually had?

I know what I want to write about (i think) but I haven't really started because I don't really know exactly how all this journal stuff is supposed to waork as we've just had the one lesson so far. Our teacher hasn't even garanteed that we'll all even be allowed to do the course.

At this rate mate you'll have to watch that you stay within the word limit :D

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
orange_blob said:
How many lessons have you actually had?

I know what I want to write about (i think) but I haven't really started because I don't really know exactly how all this journal stuff is supposed to waork as we've just had the one lesson so far. Our teacher hasn't even garanteed that we'll all even be allowed to do the course.

At this rate mate you'll have to watch that you stay within the word limit :D
Well, we have two ext2 lessons a week, (and three including a lunch sesson on others), starts at 8am and goes for 45minutes. So probably around 6-8 lessons so far this term.

We don't actually do any writing in class. I've never had frees before (year 11 was all full for me grr), so when I got given a couple of 110 minute long frees in the middle of the day on particular days of the week. I just wrote parts of the story in my journal, went back and edited it in the same free, then typed it up at home, adding and editing once more.

I like doing things that way, means it gets edited twice before I even see it on screen.

As for the word limit, I'm more inclined towards tackling the lower half of the bracket, my vain attempt to keep the story more engaging ^^

lol @ Gotterfunken.

AntonTheswan

Emisary Of The Gorgonites
From the forest itself comes the handle for the ax
HSC
I'm still not 100 percent sure about mine. I'm being seduced by that evil temptress performance poetry, but my Short story idea is currently called "The Middle" it's a critique of non-linear plot structure.
That'll probably change before I finish this post...

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
ScottyG said:
So probably around 6-8 lessons so far this term.
!

We had our second lesson today at lunch. But apparently we're gonna start having two a week next week. And I don't think we've even been offically "allowed" to do the course yet. But I think my frees (no more physics!) should come into effect tomorrow. So I think I'll just start writing anyhow.

And I forgot to mention my title, at the moment I'm thinking 'N6839' (carriage number), or 'All stations to Central', or something like that. (If you didn't realise it's going to be set on a train)

=
|3L()B

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)