• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The navy (1 Viewer)

R

randhi

Hi, i was wondering if you could help me with the significance of the greek navy in the persian wars, i know that they helped with cutting of the food supply and also the ensured that the persians could have a land onslaught. is that all that they were significant for, or is there more??

Plebeian

Just a minor point, but they sailed to attack the bridge over the Hellespont after Salamis in order to get Xerxes to flee Greece. The bridge was a weak point and the Greek navy used this and exploited Xerxes' fear of being trapped in Greece if Ionia revolted. Apart from that their main role was to cut off the supply lines and break up the Persian strategy of combined land-sea operations.

R

randhi

okay, good.
can you help with something else if you don't mind, i have a test on the land and sea operation, and how you needed to achieve this to win the whole persian wars, but i don't understand it totally. i mean i've written the naval strength and how its helps weaken the persian force to transport the men, cut foodsuplly and etc, and i've also done the unity, strategy, armour, leadership but then you have to talk about these to the army. but i don't understand how it helps?? i hope that made sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)