The Pill (1 Viewer)

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
god damnit i just posted a huge long post but bos screwed up. anyways, like i had already said, there are many different types of pill, HOWEVER, they all stop you from ovulating. It's not an "abortion" affect - there would be issues in manufacturing and selling such a drug (and no, the morning after pill does not have an abortion effect) - you do not ovulate, meaning there is no egg, meaning abortion can't possibly happen for there's nothing to abort. The pill tricks you into thinking you are pregnant, which is why you need to take 21 pills before you take a week off - you need to have taken a "cycle" to make sure you don't iovulate. What happens is for 21 days your body thinks oh I'm pregnant, so you don't produce or release any eggs because well, you don't need to if you're pregnant. Meanwhile, the uterus lines itself preparing for this new baby, but then you take the week off and your body thinks oh noes, im not pregnant, and sheds the lining causing your period. At no point is an egg produced or released. That is an effect that one of the ingredients in the pill causes - the ingredient that is in all the pills. The one that differs or is absent from some pills, is the one that *MAY* change the lining of the womb, making it less likely for a fertilised egg to implant, say in the case during the 21 days you forget to take a pill and you being ovulating, causing an egg to be released, it tries to protect you that way.

But either way, ovulation is not meant to occur on the pill, no matter which pill you are taking, hence you're saving your eggs.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yulia said:
god damnit i just posted a huge long post but bos screwed up. anyways, like i had already said, there are many different types of pill, HOWEVER, they all stop you from ovulating. It's not an "abortion" affect - there would be issues in manufacturing and selling such a drug (and no, the morning after pill does not have an abortion effect) - you do not ovulate, meaning there is no egg, meaning abortion can't possibly happen for there's nothing to abort. The pill tricks you into thinking you are pregnant, which is why you need to take 21 pills before you take a week off - you need to have taken a "cycle" to make sure you don't iovulate. What happens is for 21 days your body thinks oh I'm pregnant, so you don't produce or release any eggs because well, you don't need to if you're pregnant. Meanwhile, the uterus lines itself preparing for this new baby, but then you take the week off and your body thinks oh noes, im not pregnant, and sheds the lining causing your period. At no point is an egg produced or released. That is an effect that one of the ingredients in the pill causes - the ingredient that is in all the pills. The one that differs or is absent from some pills, is the one that *MAY* change the lining of the womb, making it less likely for a fertilised egg to implant, say in the case during the 21 days you forget to take a pill and you being ovulating, causing an egg to be released, it tries to protect you that way.

But either way, ovulation is not meant to occur on the pill, no matter which pill you are taking, hence you're saving your eggs.
ok, you're very knowledgeable :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Is it true they make the pill from the hormones in pig urine?

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
yulia said:
Haha, I'm a dispensary technician in a pharmacy, so yeah, I gain quite a bit of knowledge in there, especially with the excessive amounts of pharmacy literature I'm given to read, and my doctor and I talked for ages about it before I started, she made sure I understood everything about it before I chose to go on it. So yes, I know quite a bit :)
hey yulia are you doing pharmacy at usyd??

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hey yulia, i thought that when you took the hormonal pills, and then stopped and took the sugar pills, ovulation was occuring in those first couple of days of taking the sugar pills before the bleeding occured?

twisted_sista00

OMG! custom status!
HSC
umm when you take the sugar pills it isnt actually a period as such, its called "withdrawral bleeding" not sure...i read that somewhere

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
No, if you were ovulating then you'd fall pregnant, and as you can extend how long you take active pills for (some girls can take them for up to 3 months straight) ovulating towards the end of 21 days wouldn't work out very well.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
this is from a collection of medical textbooks..

ok there are 32 different forms of 'the pill'

major three formulations -
1) fixed ratio of oestrogen/Progestins
(synthetic hormones.. so prolly in a metal bucket :p)
2)phasic ratio of oestrogen/Progestins (based on changing levels of the cycle)
3)just Progestins (think mini-pill)

all do the same thing..
-hold back ovulation,

-change the cervical (opening in to uterus) mucus so it becomes hostile to sperm,

-and alters the endometrium lining of the uterus [place where eggs get implanted]

'Withdrawal bleeding'- medical term - the uterine wall begins to shed after about 3 days after the hormones are stopped. As there is no wall for egg implementation and the egg release has been slowed then u shouldnt get pregnant.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
side effects are due to the hormones being in blood and many different tissue hav these hormone receptors.. so they are not always directed at the uterus and ovaries..

it may cause up to 2 years of infertility in women after discontinuation.. assuming still of childbearing age

should not be used if the patient has history of blood vessel problems and certain types of diabetes.

Smoking should be avoided during use.. especialli over 35's

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
iambored said:
so then there must be different types? some doctors don't prescribe the pill because they believe it cases something like an abortion - the egg can be fertilised, but it can't be implanted, therefore the fertilised egg doesn't have a chance of living and they don't believe in it.
those are VERY conservative doctors.. its their duty of care to still send u to a doctor who will abide to ure request unless it is unreasonable.

about the different types.. doctors vary the doseage base on the person..

some can cause very adverse reactions due to the amount of hormones.. esp acne.. hence the doctor would find a lower oestrogen: progestin ratio pill.

with some conditions.. the mini pill is used to stop it aggravating other medical conditions

Last edited:

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
and the triphasic ones are given to women who have side effects on the monophasic ones, the fluctuations in the amount of hormones in the triphasic ones are meant to mimick the normal fluctuations of a women during her cycle, making a more "natural" effect.

btw, girls who are extremely overweight are not advised to take the pill. obesity heightens the chance of DVT on the pill, and all sorts of other nasty clots. Also, you will always start out on the lowest dose pill. The way they know what dosage you're meant to be taking, is if you experience heavy or regular "break through bleeding" while taking your pill - i.e, bleeding before you start the sugar pills. If this happens regularly they increase your dosage.

My advice for anyone deciding to go on the pill: don't pick a pill because the box is pretty, there are companies who make gorgeous looking pill boxes which cost you $25-$35 a month - the same companies then make the exact same pill in a plain 2 colour box (heh, sometimes black and white) for $3.80 (if you receive concessions) or around $10. There's no difference between the products except for the boxes. You're just paying for packaging.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)