• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The problem of outlaw bikies (1 Viewer)

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
I'm sick and tired of these bikies running around like they own the joint.

I say fuk em

But what can we do to stop them?

ITT: We discuss the CURRENT AFFAIR that is bikies

Scissors

HSC
Re: Fuckin' bikies!

how to stop them huh?

maybe by outlawing them, but then that's an infringment of our civil liberties.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

Bikies (at least the ones in gangs) just seem to be bogans in a midlife crisis.

OMG I'm a social outcast so I will join an antisocial gang that will appreciate my mullet and beard!

I have no problem banning their gangs. Civil libertarians can jump.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A

No the bikies are seriously a very dire issue for our society

They are creating havoc

it's like A Clockwork Orange. We're living in a dystopia!

What policies can we put in place to discourage bikies?
I saw outlaw them ok?

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A

how to stop them huh?

maybe by outlawing them, but then that's an infringment of our civil liberties.
A bigger infringement on our civil liberties is the terror they bring into the public arena
I heard the police chief call them terrorists. while i'm in a 100% stance of disagreement, i think it's apt to say they're causing a lot of terror (although, once more, that doesn't make them terrorists)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A

Until someone actually commits a crime, as opposed to being simply aligned with people who may regularly engage in crime, we can not simply stop them from participating in social activities. I mean, it's almost like saying- I think football players have little moral values, are violent and a menance to society- lets ban anyone who has anything to do with the sport.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

Until someone actually commits a crime, as opposed to being simply aligned with people who may regularly engage in crime, we can not simply stop them from participating in social activities. I mean, it's almost like saying- I think football players have little moral values, are violent and a menance to society- lets ban anyone who has anything to do with the sport.
Um they murdered a dude in broad daylight with a pole? So far football players that have been convicted have only committed victimless crimes ie. drunken behaviour to themselves.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A

Also we have to consider the notion of 'moral panic' here propogated through the media. Regular crime within 1% clubs has been common since their inception. The outcry only comes now; most likely due to the shockingly public nature of the most recent violence. At some level though- I don't believe a straight-out ban would work, neverlone be completely constitutional. I can see the High Court being inundated with liberty challenges already.

Scissors

HSC

Um they murdered a dude in broad daylight with a pole? So far football players that have been convicted have only committed victimless crimes ie. drunken behaviour to themselves.
but we shouldn't punish a group of people for the actions of their peers.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A

Clarify 'they'?

I mean, it's almost as though your saying that everyone with the club is guilty of murder? Also, my example of footballers was not ment to be inter-related in terms of criminality, purely to show that we could outlaw any social group (chest players etc) if society so deemed recent activity by certain affiliated individuals to be wrong.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A

but we shouldn't punish a group of people for the actions of their peers.
Exactly.

Let's outlaw Islam due to the prevailence of current terror links between certain individuals and the faith. Fucking stupid non-sensical bullshit.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A

See, thing is, there are worse things in the world. Like, iuno, having a brawl in an airport, or large scale (dangerous) drug manufacturing.

the benefits of outlawing bikie gangs are clear. the drawbacks? minute.

yes to moral cost/benefit analysis.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A

Also we have to consider the notion of 'moral panic' here propogated through the media. Regular crime within 1% clubs has been common since their inception. The outcry only comes now; most likely due to the shockingly public nature of the most recent violence. At some level though- I don't believe a straight-out ban would work, neverlone be completely constitutional. I can see the High Court being inundated with liberty challenges already.
1% is alright as long as they do it in private

wtf?

Scissors

HSC

Nebs raises a good point.

Bikie gangs have been shown to have clear links with the drug manufacture industry.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)