• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

the process of meiosis (1 Viewer)

shellsye

HSC
hay anyone out there, would someone be able to explain the process of meisois to me in a relatively simple way that i will be able to understand.
becasue i really dont get it lol.
thankyou heaps in advanced.
meiosis imcompetant

rhia

salty
HSC
shellsye said:
hay anyone out there, would someone be able to explain the process of meisois to me in a relatively simple way that i will be able to understand.
becasue i really dont get it lol.
thankyou heaps in advanced.
meiosis imcompetant
in contrast to mitosis, the process of meiosis results in the formation of gametes, or sex cells, with half the number of chromosomes (haploid, n) than the original body cell from which they were formed (diploid, 2n).

body cell, diploid ->
chromosome dupication, and pairing of homologous chromosomes ->
division, and separation of homologous chromsomes ->
diploid daughters. divide again ->
gametes, or haploid daughters.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MajorEventsInMeiosis.jpg

crossing over occurs when the homologous chromosomes condense together before the first round of division. independent assortment of chromosomes occurs each time there is a division. these two processes are involved in an increased variation in the gametes.

- promoting meiosis competence

Last edited:

Princess Court

HSC
rhia said:
crossing over occurs when the homologous chromosomes condense together before the first round of division. independent assortment of chromosomes occurs each time there is a division. these two processes are involved in an increased variation in the gametes.
Hi i have been given a question on meiotic division and i was wondering if what u wrote, Rhia, is the answer. The question is: Name the two processes that could result in different gametes being produced and draw a diagram to illustrate the gametes that would result.

Any help would be fantastic as i am really stuck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)