The role of the queens of the 17th and 18th dynasty in Hatshepsut's rise to power... (1 Viewer)

Becky222

Hmm..
HSC
Hi
I am struggling with this point. Does anyone have any notes/know of any good websites or books or anything that could help me?
Thank youu :)

X

xeuyrawp

Re: The role of the queens of the 17th and 18th dynasty in Hatshepsut's rise to power

Hi
I am struggling with this point. Does anyone have any notes/know of any good websites or books or anything that could help me?
What...? Is that honestly a question you've been asked by your school?

dog on heat

check it out uh uh uh uh
HSC
Re: The role of the queens of the 17th and 18th dynasty in Hatshepsut's rise to power

Hi
no, soz

Becky222

Hmm..
HSC

What...? Is that honestly a question you've been asked by your school?
well we were given a booklet of 'possible' questions and that is one of them that comes up. apparently its quite an important one as well...

X

xeuyrawp

well we were given a booklet of 'possible' questions and that is one of them that comes up. apparently its quite an important one as well...
Sorry, but I have no idea what to say. I don't know what they're drawing at... How do they think that the 17th and 18th Dynasty queens had a role in Hatshepsut's rise to power?

Are they suggesting that the role of the queen steadily increased, and that this eventually allowed Hatshepsut to get the throne? Because this is a) a very modern interpretation, and b) confusing when you consider the very prominent presence of women much earlier.

Becky222

Hmm..
HSC

I think other queens like Queen Ahhmose and Queen Ahmose Nefertari set precedents for her reign. One of then was involved in the military and i think one of them may have had a mortuary temple. Im not sure though...

X

xeuyrawp

I think other queens like Queen Ahhmose and Queen Ahmose Nefertari set precedents for her reign. One of then was involved in the military and i think one of them may have had a mortuary temple. Im not sure though...
So because one had a mortuary temple and one was involved in the military, they had a role in Hatshepsut's rise to power?

I really dislike this simplifying aspect of the HSC. It's like all the Priesthood of Amun stuff which allegedly is the sole cause for Akhenaten's reforms.

mesbaz

HSC
N/A

this is a mixture of kings and queens but all i have under this dot point. hope it helps to some extent :) and just trying out of luck. you wouldnt happen to be doing egypt for the historical period would u ( old kingdom, not new ) imquite stuck on that :(

• POLITICAL AND RELIGIOUS ROLES OF THE KING AND QUEEN IN THE 17TH DYNASTY AND THE EARLY 18TH DYNASTY

- Egyptian kings were thought to be divine, incarnations of the god Horus.
- Pyramids and the tombs in the Valley of the Kings at Thebes were built to ensure the survival of the king's influence after his death.
- The pharaoh would be given a name at birth consisting of a god’s name, nebty name, throne name and a birth name.
- The main role of a Pharaoh was to govern the country by: directing battles, ensuring the country’s economic stability and changing the religion of the country to suit their propaganda and maintaining maat.
- the roles of the king shifted somewhat over these 2 dynasties.
- Originally their role was mainly military- expelling the Hyksos and coming to reunite Egypt again.
- as it continued their roles included: foreign policies: expanding Egypt’s borders through military campaigns and development of the army, creating larger civil administrations to ensure successful governance, large building programs to promote their rule, support (reciprocated) for religious cults- Pharaoh seen as divine so they had to contribute to the building/cults to ensure continued good reign
-
- ‘Gods Wife of Amen’, suggests that while Hatshepsut was still only regent she “used titles modeled on those used by kings”
- in these dynasties, queens played a dominant role.
- Beginning at the 17th dynasty and early 18th dynasty queens were able to
o Assume high public positions
o Carry out a range of state duties
o Participate in court functions
o Own their own estates
o Hold numerous secular/religious titles
o Wear on distinctive regalia
- There were 4 types of queens during this period
o Those who ruled as kings ( queen regent)
o Chief wife/consort of the king ( kings great wife)
o Mother of king who acted as regent ( kings mother)
o Secondary wifes of kings ( kings wives)
- The most important of the Queens (and who generally passed on stronger lineage) was The Great King’s Wife, especially if she was the mother of the heir
- Religious status reflected in God’s Wife of Amun position: had an influential role in the cult of Amun, right to choose second prophet of Amun, endowment of land, grain, precious metals and admin staff.
- Many earlier queens had played an important political, and occasionally military, role in keeping stability while Husbands were fighting.
- Some queens ( Ahhotep/Ahmose Nefertari) established a precedent for female rule which Hatshepsut was able to follow
- Most impt: queen consort/kings great wife ( esp if she was the mother of the crown prince)
Political:
- many New Kingdom kings emphasised their military role
- Ahmose I drove out the foreign Hyksos and conquered Lower Egypt
- Power would eventually be delegated to groups of advisors and administrators
- Queen's had no official role in politics unless acting as co-regent
- There were no feminine words for a reigning monarch. So in most of her inscriptions, Hatshepsut is referred to in both masculine and feminine forms – Her Majesty, King Maat-ka-re.
- She arranged for her daughter Neferure, to marry Thutmose III to give him legitimacy.
- Hatshepsut saw her vital task and achievement as the rebuilding and stabilising of Egypt after the explusion of the Hyksos
- Major difference between Hatshepsut and other reigning queens is that she adopted the role of pharaoh claiming godship and sovereignty over Upper and Lower Egypt.
Religion:
- they associated themselves very closely with the Cult of Amun
- King is seen as the link between the gods and his people
- Son of Amun-Re
- Queens appear to have played a supportive role in religion

Becky222

Hmm..
HSC

hey
wow, thanks that is really helpful :)
sorry we are doing Augustus for the period, it is such a big topic it is a joke. Old kingdom cannot be worse than it im sure. Good luck though, sorry i can't be of much help.
:music:

mesbaz

HSC
N/A

hey
wow, thanks that is really helpful :)
sorry we are doing Augustus for the period, it is such a big topic it is a joke. Old kingdom cannot be worse than it im sure. Good luck though, sorry i can't be of much help.
:music:
glad it helped :)
OKE isnt hard to understand, theres just a lack of info out there thats all. still have about 5 dot points to do and exams tmr.

-_-"

goodluck for urs ! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)