the uai system (1 Viewer)

RIZAL

HSC
hmmmmm I'm not exactly sure how this works.......I got a UAI of 97.5....does that mean that I will definitely make it into the Actuary/Finance course at Macquarie? Or does it work on the laws of demand and supply; i.e. if they get 500 people with 98s applying, all of the people with 97.5,97.6 etc won't make the cut? someone from Ruse that knows all this stuff help me out!!!!
Also, I'm from a small country town.....would this help or would they be unable to see which school I came from? I think they would definitely see the school I came from right?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The UAI is all supply and demand

if the course only takes, say, 500 ppl, and 750 ppl apply, they rank all 750 students based on their UAI, and the 500th person's UAI becomes the cutoff for that course.
(that is just one singular example)

Pretz

so theoretically if 500 people applied for commerce/law or arts/law or whatever and they all scored a uai of 60 or less, then the cutoff couldn't be higher than 60?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Isaac Reyes
hmmmmm I'm not exactly sure how this works.......I got a UAI of 97.5....does that mean that I will definitely make it into the Actuary/Finance course at Macquarie? Or does it work on the laws of demand and supply; i.e. if they get 500 people with 98s applying, all of the people with 97.5,97.6 etc won't make the cut? someone from Ruse that knows all this stuff help me out!!!!
Also, I'm from a small country town.....would this help or would they be unable to see which school I came from? I think they would definitely see the school I came from right?
you'll make it ... and if you go to macq for acturial ... ill see you there ... unless i change my mind about which course i want to do ... and also uais for actu are similar to other years ... i went to a macq/actu meeting earlier in the year and they said the uais shouldnt be rising much regardless of demand ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Pretz
so theoretically if 500 people applied for commerce/law or arts/law or whatever and they all scored a uai of 60 or less, then the cutoff couldn't be higher than 60?
not really
universities set their own minimum UAI's, and it goes from there (supply and demand)

jessika

law chicky
HSC
everyone STOP APPLYING at usyd for law & ecos so that I have a chance

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by jessika
everyone STOP APPLYING at usyd for law & ecos so that I have a chance
lol jessika, u realise that most of the 99.5+'s here are applying for commerce/law at either UNSW or Usyd (or they are applying for medicine) and there isn't much hope of the cut-off going down. In fact it will probably go up in my opinion.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Re: the actuary day at Macq earlier in the year

Originally posted by Isaac Reyes
oh yeah.....a couple of people that did actuary at macq said to me that it is like the HSC all over again for 3-4-5 years......yuckkkk. One guy told me that after the first couple of semesters, the class might go from 120 to 50! ouch.:eek:
i hear only a third make it though in the end ... hopefully the acturial course will push me and challenge me ...

im planning to combine actu with maths (preferable advanced maths) ...

the thing i want to know is how many drop out at unsw because their course is new there ... it would be dodgy if everyone there passed and only a third did in macq ...

but wasnt the small girl in second year ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)