• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Uni for Parties? (1 Viewer)

marko

Hey boys and girls,

I live about 2 hrs from the city, so assuming i get around 95 i'll be moving into some kind of accomodation in the city (doing a business related degree at uts/sydney/unsw/macq)

What are people's opinions, educated or otherwise, on the best uni for
-on campus nightlife. eg. bars, entertainment, hot ladies etc
-off campus nightlife. eg. how close it is to good clubs for young people :drink:
-what the atmosphere is like in accomodation < $150p/w (eg. darlington house@usyd)

lol i know this shouldnt be too high on the list of priorities for choosing a uni but it's definately something to consider... for some of us :D

later all, and good luck in the trials :headbang:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
haha. if you want a life DO NOT GO TO MACQ. (flyin'.. please don't kill me!)
that out of the way, i'll just go through the basics. and this is from a girl who HATES trains and drives to uni every day.

USYD is near Central + is hence good for shopping. Being a guy I guess you won't care about that, but it's good for last-minute-clubwear. My friends who go to USYD spend a lot of time on campus at one of two student bars, Manning and.. the one starting with W, which I've been told is a whole lot better than Manning. And those friends do a lot of pubcrawls.

UTS.. well.. the only things I know about UTS is that it's got a pretty building 10 (comp stuff) and it's got lots of hot asian chicks. it'll be good for business/it if you like that type of thing, and it's located all over the city so you shouldn't have any trouble getting there if you live in the city.

UNSW has the highest amount of multiculturalism, and is my uni :D The Roundhouse is the hub of activity on lower-lower campus + is where the start/mid/end-of-session parties are held. There's movie nights, band and DJ comps, and always weird stuff going on there. Only problem is it's a trek from the rest of campus and I'm lazy.

As far as nightlife in the city goes, it doesn't matter which uni you go to since you'll always be able to get there. From USYD or UTS you can walk, train, tram or bus.. from UNSW it's a bus to central and ditto above. Don't think about driving 'cause there's rarely parking and it costs an arm and a leg anyway before 10pm.

Accomodation on campus (ie. colleges) are supposed to be hell fun at UNSW; the extensive network means that you'll always have someone to do (or help you do) your work and as a friend said, "instead of buying a textbook I asked my RA and she threw it at me". It's affordable (compared to living on your own) too.

And that's all I know.

marko

ok thanks a lot for that..

yeah macquarie uni is pretty much a last resort... in case i get like 88/89 :mad:
accomodationwise it wont be anything more than $200p/w i think; my family is just outside the centrelink benefits threshold which is a bummer
i just plan on making uni the maddest time ever(while i'm not studying, i'm sure i can balance it all :p 'cal' from 'the undergrads' is my hero. wink wink)
also, having hot asian chicks at the uni isnt all that high on things i consider, but its good info for some of the other fella's reading this i guess :D
i was actually at the roundhouse last night for the new found glory concert.. pretty cool venue.. round.. does have potential for some rad parties
thats it for now, thanks!

edit: just noticed a half-related thread a bit further down.. still feel free to comment. I also reiterate that i realise uni's shouldnt be chosen on the basis of the quality of social life :)

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by anti
haha. if you want a life DO NOT GO TO MACQ. (flyin'.. please don't kill me!)
that out of the way, i'll just go through the basics. and this is from a girl who HATES trains and drives to uni every day.
Huh? MQ?!

*Finds... dusty/rusty PIG chainsaw* :p

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
newcastle has the best social scene.

edit: my full stop in bold didnt really have the desired effect, did it

-X-

HSC
N/A
Unless you made it a little bigger :D

sif not 99

usyd certainly without a doubt,

anti as for the multiculturalism on the UNSW campus I would suggest that it actually leads to a negative score against social scene rather than a positive one....

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
why would you think so?
it means that different social groups have their own little (read: big) parties every now and again. Bah. Not that I go to any of them because I'm antisocial.. but you know.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
wtf wrong wiv macquarie?

*goes back to studying*
Well, people are going to flock to MQ now? :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
I think that the point was that some groups tend to remain slightly insular. It's a fair statement. But it happens everywhere, so I don't see why UNSW should be seen as being different to Sydney.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Dazed.. MQ is not exactly the hub of social activity.

And my boy goes there so I like paying it out. :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
do you go down to the coal mines and then end the night up at the bread factory?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by um..
newcastle has good parties!!!!!!!! no one listens to me!
i dunno bout that but u guys always get the best bands you band whores

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
but we have mm!!! and preshrunk (the other day, and i missed them!!!)!!! and we had interpol and michael franti and kruder & dorfmeister and ltj bukem and and and...

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
are you going to see mum too, salad? (i wish i knew how to do the fancy thing above the u). i think im going to see it with a mate, if i can afford it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)