• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

"The word 'Bum'" - Justin's guide to what is appropriate (1 Viewer)

J

jhakka

Ok, here's the thing. This is English Extension 2. This is where we make our own compositions. Our major works. Our babies. (I actually remember that at the St Dominic's study day, someone called our major works our babies, since in nine months time we'd be giving birth. Anyways, when they asked what we should be doing now, the word "sex" immediately came to mind.)

What I mean is that this is YOUR work. This is not the work of the markers. This is not the work of St John the Baptist. Not a master novellist. Yours. Essentially, what you put into your work is up to you.

What is the point of this post? Mainly to provide a guide to what is appropriate in a major work, and partly because I think that instead of giving up all form of individuality to please the markers (either by becoming very lame and overreaching or by wondering if anything slightly controversial, conventional or even funny is appropriate) we as students and composers should have some degree of common sense about what goes into our major works.

So let's move on.
QUESTION: Is *whatever* appropriate for my major work?
ANSWER: As long as it doesn't detract from the effect, purpose or readability of the work, yes.

Lemme see... Coarse language. People swear, ok? It happens. I swear occasionally, as shocking as that may seem. Heaps of authors swear in their works. Stephen King, Matthew Reilly and even Robin Hobb, to name a few all have the occasional shit, piss, bitch, bastard, cock, dick, arse, prick or fuck in their works. However, the use of profanity is not excessive or pointless. Essentially, what they have done is added to the effect of the scene, chapter or development of a character (a character that says "The dog pissed on the floor" would come across as more blunt than one who said "The dog gracefully lifted it's leg and urinated across the pavilion upon which it stood, as a fire hose releasing its life-giving contents", not to mention more real). So essentially, unless you're unfortunate enough to get a marker that thinks that all swearing is evil and that God will strike him or her down if they give you a good mark, it shouldn't be a problem if it adds to the effect of the work.

Moving on to comedy, now. Comedy is a great thing. It has many uses: making someone laugh, for example. Now, I know many people have a habit of becoming very pretentious when they write, and that's not a good thing. "If you're going to put humour in, make it satirical" is not good advice. It's awful advice. The use of humour is a legitimate technique in almost all types of texts, and should not be looked down upon if it's not satirical, a parody or making some kind of social comment. Comedy, even a stupid comment from a character, some dry wit, even some sarcasm, all add to the work, and especially to character development. I encourage it if, as always, it adds to the effect of the work.

Intertextual references. I don't use them, but I don't see why they would be seen as controversial. If a line from the Bible, a song, a quote from another author, it doesn't matter. Throw it in if you feel it is relevant. Sure you can take it out in a later draft or whatever, but as long as it serves a legitimate purpose (using it to make yourself look smart doesn't count) there shouldn't be a problem.

Getting the idea yet?

I'm sure there were other things, but I can't quite remember what they are. Essentially what I'm saying is that instead of heading straight to the forums and asking if any form of originality is ok, perhaps you should just add it in, experiment and wait until you're happy with it. If the markers don't like it, tough.

-Justin

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Great post mate. I'm sure there are a lot of people asking the questions you've just answered. I give you five thumbs up.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jhakka again.

Also, if people are asking questions like the ones that Justin has just answered, document it in your journal as its always good to put stuff like that in your reflection statement at the end. You will need to show how your work evolved, the types of obstacles you ran into and how you overcame them. Bring in a quandry as to whether or not you should include something, and your eventual reasons to include/exclude it is always a good thing to show the markers that you actually had reasons behind everything you did

Abbeygale

HSC
jhakka said:
Ok, here's the thing. This is English Extension 2. This is where we make our own compositions. Our major works. Our babies. (I actually remember that at the St Dominic's study day, someone called our major works our babies, since in nine months time we'd be giving birth. Anyways, when they asked what we should be doing now, the word "sex" immediately came to mind.)
Holly Lisle actually has a rant on her site about that metaphor. She says she's had children and she's written books, and it's completely different aside from the time frame- the nine months to do our major work will be a hard slog. We won't give birth in nine months- we'll spend nine months in the labour ward. Giving birth is nine months of waiting/throwing up, then the hard work begins.

She puts it more eloquently- http://www.hollylisle.com/fm/Articles/feature5.html

This post is a big relief, since silly, non-satirical humour tends to pop up in my work without any apparent interference from me.

J

jhakka

Haha. That's an awesome article. Granted it's more marathon-like than baby-like, but when I say it's my baby, it's more in the posessive sense rather than the simile sense.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
The only thing I don't agree with you, is that "if your going to use humour make it satrical". My teacher said that satirical is the most sophisticated form of irony.

So like my satirical speech i'm doing, if I use any other humour, I think i'd score prettty poorly.
And from my experience teachers have a thing for satire.

Abbeygale

HSC
I didn't realise that there were different levels of irony. Did she say more? How do you get 'other forms of humour will be marked poorly' from 'satirical is the most sophisticated form of irony'?

J

jhakka

zenger69 said:
The only thing I don't agree with you, is that "if your going to use humour make it satrical". My teacher said that satirical is the most sophisticated form of irony.

So like my satirical speech i'm doing, if I use any other humour, I think i'd score prettty poorly.
And from my experience teachers have a thing for satire.
Which is why I keep saying "Use it if it adds to the effect." The fact that humour is not satirical does not make it inappropriate to every major work in the universe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)