• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Thinking SDD or IPT (1 Viewer)

HydeSan

I don't know whether to post this here or in the IPT forum...

Right now, I've got all my subjects, except I need to drop either software or ipt. I got in the 90-100% range for both subjects in year 11, and I think both subjects are 'pretty' easy. However, my algorithms in software are becoming a little messy, and there is an ever increasing amount of computer vocab I have to learn in ipt. Also, I hear software is scaled higher than IPT.

Therefore, should I do IPT or SDD?
Any comments appreciated.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
id rather do sdd. although theyre both pretty boring, i heard ipt is even more boring because its pretty basic. so if you find sdd ok to handle, id go for it. and also theres the scaling to look at since you think theyre both pretty easy.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I do both, and I've gotta tell you that Software Design is a lot better, but probably only if you're good at. Don't worry about the algorithms, almost everybody has problems with them and hardly anyone would get them completely right everytime.

In my opinion, IPT is good if you are interested in its focus topics: Project Work, Databases, Communication (networking) and Multimedia (if you get to do that option topic).

Software Design scales better than IPT (If I recall, last years Software Design's scaling was 26.1 and IPT's was 23.3, but don't let that affect your decision.. do what you are most interested in! :)

Last edited:

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
If you're getting 90-100% in both, why not keep both?

Winston

HSC
dont be frightened with algorithms, there's no right or wrong to it because, there's absolutely no syntax to it, if BOS had created a standard syntax for algorithms, we would be better off.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Personally I prefer IPT, but that's partly because I'm better at that than SDD. It's obviously going to be different for different people. Don't choose software simply because it scales better (and besides, that could change, you never know), although that will obviously play a part in your decision. Do whichever you prefer, whichever you're more confident with, whichever will drive you the least insane having to do it for another YEAR. ;)

Last edited:

HydeSan

Thanks people for your opinions.
I have to drop either one cos I dont really want to do Year 12 with 14 units. Even though I have an interest in both subjects, I guess I'll just do SDD - programming languages are fun.
Also, do you have to know a specific programming language (eg. c++) for the HSC? Or do you just write lots of algorithms?

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
You don't need to know any specific language for the core. I dont know about the Evolution option though, because I do Hardware option...

But you do a major project in a 'Board Approved' language (which just means that it has to have Sequence/Selection/Repitition capabilities...)
Why not use your T81 Calculator and do your major project on that? (Because you probably could...)
Otherwise the most common languages used are things like C(++) and VB.

HydeSan

I like all my other subjects...
But I think I'm going to drop IPT, I like writing programs (though I'm not good at it...)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Trust me!, SDD is NOT about writing programs. Besides the major project you will be doing nothing about programming.

The closest thing to programming is algorithms.

Inhuman

HSC
My major project was all about programming.

However bear in mind that the bulk of SDD is theory, and so is IPT. The main difference is that IPT is more about hardware and SDD is more software-oriented

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I do both, actually

I happen to do both IPT and SDD (call me a bloody fool if you will). IPT is more on the straightforward side, about designing and implementing things using everday applications. It deals more with the hardware than software design does.
IPT is the more boring of the two, often repeating things known, or not worth knowing. SDD is a more interesting, and is more useful.
I recommend software design because it is based on logic, unlike the confusing IPT, which goes into too much useless detail.
Besides SDD is ranked higher in the UAI, and it;s more fun to create applications that screw around with the school server.

But that is just my opinion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)