• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

those who have had their interviews (1 Viewer)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i had my interview on monday, pretty scary, it went for an hour and 15 minutes, crazy.

did any of you get asked wierd stuff or have wierd things happen,

in the middle of mine, all the lights went out, i think they were playing nasty tricks to try get me to lose concentration

anyways,
will see how it goes

goodluck to those who haven;t had yet.

Andrew.

Last edited:

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
It wasn't necessarily a trick, some of the rooms have motion detectors which control the lights.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
ah ok,
sorry my bad

i was told before hand that they might do something tricky.

but overall, to the ppl who haven;t had theirs yet, the interviewers are very nice. they make you feel comfortable and they are not just writing down everything you say, they engage with you through eyecontact and also by acknowlegding you verbally as you speak.

best of luck

Andrew.

Brad

The questions were strange, yet i was expecting them since i talked to others... but they were still strange

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
if its ure first one.. and ure goin to others.. lolz it get weirder from here..

vicksta

HSC
I had mine on friday..i found it fun actually. Im not sure how i came across...i felt as though i was just going "me, me, me", but i guess thats what we're supposed to do. All the other ppl doing interviews were so nice, and they were all nervous like me and felt the same as me afterwards, so im pretty confident!!

UNSW interview

Yeah I quite enjoyed my interview- I had it on Friday. It was good mainly because I was expecting it to be terrible - I'd planned for the absolute worst and found it to be a lot better than I'd hoped for. I think UNSW might be one of the easier interviews in some ways - I hear Newcastle is a lot more gruelling (I actually heard that from someone who IS an interviewer at Newc so that's a pretty solid source lol).

At least we've got through one interview now. Congrats everyone who did it!

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Hi guys, I'm only in yr 11 (lol - "only") so i don't know the procedure, but can u tell wat the q's were?

m111 said:
Hi guys, I'm only in yr 11 (lol - "only") so i don't know the procedure, but can u tell wat the q's were?
Hey m111 - well the questions at UNSW were fairly straightforward - mainly stuff about your experiences, family relationships, important people in your life, etc. Plus the usual - "why do you want to do medicine"? That one's crucial.

If you're looking into doing med, one of the best things you can do for yourself (and for others, really!) is to get out into the community, in particular in the health profession areas. Visit nursing homes, get some work experience in a medical practice and a hospital - all that stuff proves to the selectors that you are really serious about doing med and you know what it's all about.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
IMHO Newcastle is "easier" because you can actually get the questions "right", as opposed to the UNSW ones.

depends how you look at it I guess. I like it both ways, so I'll judge which one consider easier when I've actually done both!

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Thanks for the tips, joy. I have been did work experience in a practise in yr 9 and spent 4 hours standing beside the bed in an operating suite in January 03. I've spent A LOT of time with 2 current doctors in the NRL and Cricket Australia (pretty cool actually)... but they both have public practises... is this any good? i'l try for both unsw and uncle skywalker, only cos i live on the north coast...

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
wat is uncle skywalker?

and if you are going to do the interview next year, i advise you start thinking of examples or memories from your childhood. I was asked to recall alot of stuff like that and it was hard. At times I even thought of memories that hadn't crossed my mind in the last 10 years. The brain is wierd, so start thinking of stuff, get in touch with your childhood :)

georgia86

freaky happenings

hey!
my friend and i both had someone knock on the door during our interview for no apparent reason, so that may have been some sort of ploy to distract??

Who knows....

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
possibly
although sometimes they knock so the interviewers know time periods, like that its been half an hour or sumthin

nit

HSC
Yep, they told us theyd knock after half-an-hour, so it wasn't really a "dirty trick", and anyway i didn't hear it, so it didn't matter at all...

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
gordo said:
wat is uncle skywalker?

and if you are going to do the interview next year, i advise you start thinking of examples or memories from your childhood. I was asked to recall alot of stuff like that and it was hard. At times I even thought of memories that hadn't crossed my mind in the last 10 years. The brain is wierd, so start thinking of stuff, get in touch with your childhood :)
Childhood memories? how bizarre! what like? "I was beaten as a child... i'm only into medicine to inflict pain"? "Well this one time there was an accident at home, so then my brother and i got to disect the family cat..."? lol

ps gordo, i mean newcastle - skywalker n i r not related

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
haha
i think its more geared towars a family orientated upbringing
i remember the big family dinne rnights when all my cousings and uncles would come over
i remember playing soccer in the u6's every saturday

shows like a 'normal' upbringing, i guess,
cause up bringing is wat fashions u as a person and they want to make sure u can cope with the course and the demands etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)