• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

thoughts on subjects that i am thinking of dropping (1 Viewer)

Mood_124

HSC
hi,

im currently in that yr11 term4/yr12 term 1 thingo with hsc next year, and i have to drop 2 subjects but i have 3 options. without dropping i have 15 units and as much as i love my subjects (except maths) i know i cant do that. in context i only joined the hsc at the end of term 2 this year and i was doing the IB course beforehand, so all my exam marks r literally just my prelims so i cant say i have an average only a single skewed percentage.

id like to have a career in history like an archivist, historian or museum curator, but i would like to be able to publish my research to fulfill my english love. therefore im interested in bachelor of arts and focusing on history and english lit.

my subjects i will def do and arent dropping r:
english adanced ext1 ext2 (so 4 unit english), modern history and ext (3 unit), and bio

my 3 possible dropping subjects are:
spanish continuers;
pros : im not bad i just have to practice heaps on pronunciation (which i cant rlly do well in english either and its my mother language), the cohort is strong for scaling and it does better than beginners, i have been consistently doing it since yr7, i do enjoy it.
cons: time i could spend studying on subjects helpful for unis i want are focused on Spanish, i need a miracle for speaking, if i drop it the periods it is scheduled would be perfect for study and i don't have many frees anyway.

math standard 2;
cons: i dont need it for uni or careers, i hate maths, my cohort scaling isnt great, my teacher and the head of department is all for me dropping as they know i dont want to be there but my parents arent budging on letting me drop unless i can get the school careers counselor to agree in our meeting later this week, my english advanced teacher (who is also the hsc coordinator) says to drop and that i wont need it especially considering im a very english/history/humanities girly who doesnt enjoy or get good marks in stem subjects (outside bio).
pros: everyone ive talked to in uni or just completed says its useful even when unis say no, my tutor says it looks better to be well rounded bcs otherwise i just have humanities and bio, im not bad at it but im not good enough that i will def get a good mark in the cut off area as i get maths easily it just doesnt translate well in tests and looks like i didnt try.

society and culture;
pros: i like the subject, it has a major work therefore i can be done with 40% of the subject before trials, my cohort is great, i am ranked 5 out of 25 (and i have only essentially been doing it for a term), my teacher has been the same sac teacher for ages and i scored gold getting her. i have a rlly good pip idea that is not one of the common occurrences.
cons: 3 major works (but they r all humanities) and i have been wanting to do english ext 2 and history ext since i learnt they existed in primary school when my cousin was in yr11 so im not dropping those but have limited time for a 3rd even tho i rlly like the subject and have a good idea, but also i have the sentiment of 'who needs holidays anyway?' and will kill my mental health for academic enjoyment. i dont want to get to near trials and regret not drpping bcs now i have 3 major works due.

watermelonenjoyer

HSC
As someone who dropped a language course drop spanish or maths, I stopped doing maths this year and it was the best decision I've made tbh. I also just have a gruelling hatred for french and learning languages so I might be being biased.

avocadosandmoles

HSC
It definitely sounds like you want to drop maths the most so I'd suggest that. It's always better to continue doing subjects you love even if it might be a lot, otherwise you'll lose any motivation you had to do maths since you aren't even enjoying it. I haven't dropped anything and am currently doing 13 units, which sounds like a lot (which it is), but I also managed to get first in course for 4 of my 7 subjects in year 11 because I genuinely enjoy each of them. A major work you're passionate about and want to do even in your spare time would, from my experience, be easier than dragging yourself through maths. For being well-rounded, my sister dropped maths standard 2 after year 11 but despite that she got into a criminology degree, so while it might look good to be well rounded, I definitely don't think it's necessary to have maths to achieve that.

enchantedivory27

HSC
3 major works would be a LOT of work but if its what you're passionate about and will keep up with the workload then keep society. i did spanish beginners like year 7-9 which was interesting and a language would definitely help in life, you are probably already more advanced at it then me for sure seeing i haven't really practiced for years. but it is very different to the major work subjects you're doing. i reckon get rid of maths im sure the careers teacher will agree, they should care about you at the end of the day, if youre hating it then theres no point studying for it so might as well drop it. if you suddenly want to do a maths or stem job which sounds very unlikely theres a lot of bridging courses etc you could do.
Good luck with hsc manifesting 99 atar for you

And 11 units is so much more manageable than 13 for hsc, studies were my best friend

iloveeggs

future cat lady <3
HSC
i recommend doing some research on uni courses so you can get a clearer picture of what subjects you NEED. from my research, bachelor of arts courses in your field of interest typically:
  • require an 80 smth atar at most
  • usually have no prerequite subjects
  • usually no assumed knowledge
which you already meet regardless. universities genuinely do not care whether or not you are well rounded or not as long as you meet their admission criteria, you can literally go to uni open days and ask this question and they will give you the same answer. you could even get into the course without doing their assumed knowledge courses and take a bridging course so rest assured unis don't care as long as you do the prerequites and meet the atar requirement.

so don't feel pressured to take maths at all, especially if it is not your strength. i recommend you drop maths

while i can't comment on spanish continuers or SAC, the one other piece of advice i can give you is to drop to 11 units total bc 13 units especially with major works will be a nightmare to handle.

spiderfan44

HSC
hi,

im currently in that yr11 term4/yr12 term 1 thingo with hsc next year, and i have to drop 2 subjects but i have 3 options. without dropping i have 15 units and as much as i love my subjects (except maths) i know i cant do that. in context i only joined the hsc at the end of term 2 this year and i was doing the IB course beforehand, so all my exam marks r literally just my prelims so i cant say i have an average only a single skewed percentage.

id like to have a career in history like an archivist, historian or museum curator, but i would like to be able to publish my research to fulfill my english love. therefore im interested in bachelor of arts and focusing on history and english lit.

my subjects i will def do and arent dropping r:
english adanced ext1 ext2 (so 4 unit english), modern history and ext (3 unit), and bio

my 3 possible dropping subjects are:
spanish continuers;
pros : im not bad i just have to practice heaps on pronunciation (which i cant rlly do well in english either and its my mother language), the cohort is strong for scaling and it does better than beginners, i have been consistently doing it since yr7, i do enjoy it.
cons: time i could spend studying on subjects helpful for unis i want are focused on Spanish, i need a miracle for speaking, if i drop it the periods it is scheduled would be perfect for study and i don't have many frees anyway.

math standard 2;
cons: i dont need it for uni or careers, i hate maths, my cohort scaling isnt great, my teacher and the head of department is all for me dropping as they know i dont want to be there but my parents arent budging on letting me drop unless i can get the school careers counselor to agree in our meeting later this week, my english advanced teacher (who is also the hsc coordinator) says to drop and that i wont need it especially considering im a very english/history/humanities girly who doesnt enjoy or get good marks in stem subjects (outside bio).
pros: everyone ive talked to in uni or just completed says its useful even when unis say no, my tutor says it looks better to be well rounded bcs otherwise i just have humanities and bio, im not bad at it but im not good enough that i will def get a good mark in the cut off area as i get maths easily it just doesnt translate well in tests and looks like i didnt try.

society and culture;
pros: i like the subject, it has a major work therefore i can be done with 40% of the subject before trials, my cohort is great, i am ranked 5 out of 25 (and i have only essentially been doing it for a term), my teacher has been the same sac teacher for ages and i scored gold getting her. i have a rlly good pip idea that is not one of the common occurrences.
cons: 3 major works (but they r all humanities) and i have been wanting to do english ext 2 and history ext since i learnt they existed in primary school when my cousin was in yr11 so im not dropping those but have limited time for a 3rd even tho i rlly like the subject and have a good idea, but also i have the sentiment of 'who needs holidays anyway?' and will kill my mental health for academic enjoyment. i dont want to get to near trials and regret not drpping bcs now i have 3 major works due.
if youre good with time management you should be able to handle 3 majors. just make sure youre dedicating a certain amount of time to your majors every week and thats its around the same amount as your non-major subjects, eg; dedicate about 5 hours a week to your major works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)