• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Time management during exams (1 Viewer)

itskratika_07

HSC
How did y'all manage your time during exams like the HSC and Trials? How should your time be divided up according to marks? Also, what is the best way to use reading time effectively?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, the higher the mark value of a question, the more time that should be allocated towards that question, and vice versa. It is not wise to spend an unreasonable amount of time on a two-mark question, when you could spend the same amount of time on a 5-mark question.

The minimum time allocation for a multiple-choice question is generally one minute. Of course, this may change depending on the subject and the type of question being asked. Provided you are able to quickly understand the question and determine the relevant approach to finding the correct answer, a minute should be sufficient. There are also cases where students may focus on allocating less time for multiple-choice questions, which pushes them to develop their ability to think fast and consequently needing less time (for instance, less than a minute) to solve a multiple-choice question.

I personally did not follow a strict time allocation for multiple-choice questions, but rather focused on answering questions, the answers to which I was able to quickly determine. I skipped questions where I was unable to immediately understand or determine the required approach to solve so as to not waste time and instead focus on questions that I was able to complete (this also applies to other types of questions). Once I completed the other questions, I would come back to the questions that I was unable to complete and spend the remaining time (which was usually sufficient) to complete them.

Given that you will not be allowed to write anything during reading time, you can use this time to determine the order in which you intend to attempt the questions (if this is something that you are contemplating), including any questions that you feel you should skip at the start of your exam. With that being said, such tips remain general, and your approach to reading time can differ between subjects. For example, you could use your reading time to think about the content of your responses for your English Advanced Paper 2, including the optimal approach to the Module C question, whereas you could use your reading time to estimate the amount of time that you should allocate towards Section II compared to Section III and Section IV of your Food Technology HSC exam.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)