• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Time off work for HSC exams? What are my rights? (1 Viewer)

RedDeadMaddie

HSC
Hi guys,
I work for Woolworths Limited (won't say which store name) and I recently applied for time off for 7th September to 8th of November so I can study and complete my HSC exams. I am a casual employee. My manager replied that I "probably won't be allowed to do that". Are they allowed to deny this? I don't want to have to quit, especially when I will have an abundance of free time after the HSC, and plan to transfer to another store in a different area when I leave for university. Do I have any rights behind me that I can fight with?

Lincolnc

HSC
Companys can deny time off. The best thing to do is to resign. You can always get your job back if you resign. Just give them some heads up about your resignation and if you are a good worker you can easily get your job back. I was forced to resign my job because of the HSC and my manager said i can get it back anytime.

madzilla2

HSC
Thats rubbish, you're a casual- by law you are allowed to have any period of work off just the same as you can tell them specific days you cannot work (i.e. for sports etc). Don't just resign, find out all of your options from your employer and union (if you are a member). There are always options when it comes to this, employers have to recognise that the HSC is a part of most students lives and have to respect your wishes to put school first.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Thats rubbish, you're a casual- by law you are allowed to have any period of work off just the same as you can tell them specific days you cannot work (i.e. for sports etc). Don't just resign, find out all of your options from your employer and union (if you are a member). There are always options when it comes to this, employers have to recognise that the HSC is a part of most students lives and have to respect your wishes to put school first.
This is true, as a casual you have the right to say that you cannot work for a specified period of time and they cannot force you to work. It is also true that they are under no obligation to provide you with any more shifts should you choose to take that time off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)