• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Timetabling - Any tips? (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I know we have a while until we choose timetables etc. but are there any tips for choosing lecture time/tutorials/labs?

This is particularly for science subjects like math, chem, bio, phys etc.

gman03

HSC
sikeveo said:
I know we have a while until we choose timetables etc. but are there any tips for choosing lecture time/tutorials/labs?

This is particularly for science subjects like math, chem, bio, phys etc.
For physics lab, either put it at the end of the day or at least give an hour gap afterwards.

For maths tut, give a hour gap before the tut in case of test.

Just make sure the walking distance between successive classes (with no gap in between) short. Get yourself familiar with the location of the classes. Although walking is good for your body, having to get from west to east in < 5 mins kills.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
From Anzac Parade to the quad. is a very long walk as well.

elfm

HSC
i find it best to start class in the afternoon. that way, you get your sleep (so you can concentrate on class more), and you miss out on the morning peak hour... although sometimes that means you have to endure the evening peak hour :p

ace

is retired
HSC
start at 10+, finish before 4 is probably ideal

cause you in effect miss both the morning and evening rush hour crap

also morning classes at 8/9 suck, and anything at night (5-9) sucks (unless you live locally, or have a car)

have fun timetabling

Best advice I can give you Don't use myunsw's auto-timetable.

btw,
www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~nss/sitar/classes/
is your friend for all your timetable time needs etc. myunsw is too crapply laid out and slow i say

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
math tutes (choose the latest one) - then u can ask ppl about wats in the tute quizes

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Maths tutes- like otheres mentioned, pick them so you have a break before to study for tests. I suspect you may be doing the maths for life sciences, I'm not sure how they operate.

Bio labs - doesn't really matter. Early on in the week is usually better, get it over and done with

Chem labs - in first year, you often need to submit lab reports. If your lab is Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, you will need to submit your lab report by Wednesday, Thursday or Friday 5pm (respectively)- which means you have to finish it quickly and perhaps even travel to hand it in. If your lab is Thursday or Friday, you will have the weekend to complete the lab report.

Hope that helps.

As for lecture times, I wouldn't worry too much about them. See www.timetable.unsw.edu.au

Tuna

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
math tutes (choose the latest one) - then u can ask ppl about wats in the tute quizes
What are so interesting about the quizzes?

elfm

HSC
There's usually about 3-4 different versions of a maths quiz each time you have one. They just give them out randomly so it's harder for you to cheat if you do the quiz at a later date/time... although it's still possible if you find 3-4 friends that did the 3-4 different versions. The quizes either go for 20 or 25 minutes and just test on the basic concepts of the chapter/section. Your best 5 out of the 6 quizes are assessable, and they're altogether worth 24%

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Just don't pick 8 or 9am tutes. Unless you happen to be a morning person. Most people aren't. I had an 8 o'clock tute last semester that required me to leave home at 6:30am. It's not fun.

sunny

meh.
HSC
elfm said:
There's usually about 3-4 different versions of a maths quiz each time you have one. They just give them out randomly so it's harder for you to cheat if you do the quiz at a later date/time... although it's still possible if you find 3-4 friends that did the 3-4 different versions. The quizes either go for 20 or 25 minutes and just test on the basic concepts of the chapter/section. Your best 5 out of the 6 quizes are assessable, and they're altogether worth 24%
I was told once that each class test's questions are randomly selected from a pool of ~300 questions.

elfm

HSC
sunny said:
I was told once that each class test's questions are randomly selected from a pool of ~300 questions.
ya maybe. anyway, the questions you'll get in the quizes are generally very similar to the practice quizes that you get in your workbook, so they shouldn't be too much trouble unless you don't understand a thing like me right now (doing summer session maths).

RooRaa

HSC
N/A
Lundy, What is the smallest class size for 2nd year history? The slavery and freedom subject only has 9 people enrolled so i was not sure that if it would be cancelled or not if it doesnt pick up.

Im also worried one of my tuts for another class may be cancelled as there is not enough people in it (this will completely screw up my timetable).

When do students tend to enrol? will they usually do it closer to the session starting?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Enrolment should start to pick up towards the end of january. Don't worry, it'll go ahead regardless. That's why they only have two tutorial times open and two only "tentative", cos they're waiting to see whether there'll be enough enrolments to open another one up. :)

As for the tutorials, if there isn't enough people to justify one going ahead they can cancel it (I had to drop a class last semester for that reason. Couldn't fit any other tute in my timetable). Again though, just wait til enrolment starts to pick up and see what happens.

Last edited:

RooRaa

HSC
N/A
Oh cool thanks :)

Yeh the other subject is politics: sexuality ... i think they need to have 10 people in the tut or its cancelled and they only have 3. I cant fit any other times but i really want to do the course gah.

Are there any bludge or killer subjects i should know about? I died in a philosophy of science subject ...i was so clueless heh

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Is this pols2041? the 2005 site says last year there were 97 people enrolled so I reckon your tute will end up going ahead.

RooRaa

HSC
N/A
POLS2041 Sexuality and Power: The Social Relations of Sex and the Sexes

yep thats the one.... oh wow thanks! that made me feel alot better. I hate working out timetables.

I hope it picks up.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
Maths tutes- like otheres mentioned, pick them so you have a break before to study for tests. I suspect you may be doing the maths for life sciences, I'm not sure how they operate.

Bio labs - doesn't really matter. Early on in the week is usually better, get it over and done with

Chem labs - in first year, you often need to submit lab reports. If your lab is Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, you will need to submit your lab report by Wednesday, Thursday or Friday 5pm (respectively)- which means you have to finish it quickly and perhaps even travel to hand it in. If your lab is Thursday or Friday, you will have the weekend to complete the lab report.

Hope that helps.

As for lecture times, I wouldn't worry too much about them. See www.timetable.unsw.edu.au
nah ill be doing 1131 or 1141. Still have to decide.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Enjoy organising/choosing your desired time. When you get to second/third year, there won't be any choices :(

sunny

meh.
HSC
Unless you're doing comp sci! :D

Sometimes theres so much flexibility it worries me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)