• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Tipping (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Why do ppl in hospitality industry get tipped when no one else does, ppl in retail get about the same pay rate as waiters and stuff, but never get tipped. Does this piss anyone else off enough not to tip at all, it does me, and also its the employers job to pay employees not a customers.

elisabeth

HSC
I don't see anything wrong with tipping if your service has been great, but I don't think anyone should feel obligated to tip. I guess it's not so bad here in oz, because at least waiters/waitresses aren't getting such low rates... like in America, where they can get $2/hr. That's shit. I agree completely that it is an employer's job to pay them a decent wage, anything extra is good and should be a reflection of their good service, not society's expectation to tip.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I hate the culture in the USA where tipping is expected... even if the service is shit. Also they have those "service fees" which are basically an imposed tip. Their staff should be paid a decent rate and people shouldn't be expected to tip.

I work in hospitality and usually it is only really drunk people who tip lol. Or really rich people. Or people just say keep the change or whatever when it is 10c... A couple of times I have been tipped a reasonably decent amount for providing good service.... if people want to tip me, then I have no complaints, but I never expect it and it is always a good surprise.

But I hate it when people in hospitality expect you to tip them. I would only ever tip someone if what they did was quite exceptional, not when they are just doing their jobs.... you already pay for them to do their jobs when you pay for a product. Why pay twice?

Have you ever had someone kind of look at you weird because you want your change and they just expect you to tip them with it lol? That's so funny when that happens.

People that expect tips are the people that shouldn't really get them usually in my experience.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
you stole the idea for this thread from reservoir dogs.lol good stuff!!

ive just never felt tipping to be neccesary

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
No i didnt sorry, iv never seen reservoir dogs

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i got tipped @ woolies once, lol, that was nice, but i didnt keep the money, it was only a buck

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Im pretty liberal with tipping. If I like the service of a place Ill tip anywhere from 10- 25%. I often tip cabbies if I have a short fare too.

I like the idea of tipping in hospitality because I know from experience that it does take a lot of effort to smile and chat to customers, especially on a stressful shift, so I appreciate it a lot.

I get extremely shitty if I go out to dinner with someone and the service is excellent and they are not willing to pitch in for the tip and I know they have the money to.

Last edited:

LazyBoy

HSC
they get tipped simply because ppl usually say keep the change when drunk. or dont like to handle small money. Alchohol makes people alot less tight with money

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Grobus said:
Im pretty liberal with tipping. If I like the service of a place Ill tip anywhere from 10- 25%. I often tip cabbies if I have a short fare too.

I like the idea of tipping in hospitality because I know from experience that it does take a lot of effort to smile and chat to customers, especially on a stressful shift, so I appreciate it a lot.

I get extremely shitty if I go out to dinner with someone and the service is excellent and they are not willing to pitch in for the tip and I know they have the money to.
there's this one cabbie i sumtimes get for one of my shorter fares, god he's great, full aussie bloke, so i always like give him a 50%-100% tip

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
I like to tip cabbies on a short fare because I know they rely on fares for their income and license fees and stuff are hellishly expensive. It must suck for them leaving the city and all the nightime fares for an $8 cabride.

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
I only ever tip people if they're good and friendly. It's usually like only $5 anyway. I think if they're good they deserve the money because they put in that extra effort to be nice and polite.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
if i go out to dinner i usually just leave the small change unless the service was absolutely terrible. i don't see what the big deal is... i don't tip more than i can afford.

one of the sups at coles is such a tight bitch, she saw abt $1.25 in small change on top of my register and wouldn't let me keep it even though it was small change. according to her accepting tips is unprofessional. :rolleyes: gosh i was sad to lose that dollar and twentyfive cents

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
did u guys ever heard of a true story of this guy who said to this waitress if i ever win the lottery i buy u a car, and when he actualy won , he got her a car, thts a good tip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)