Tips/Books for self-learning Ext. 1 & 2 Maths (1 Viewer)

Hakuna Matata

HSC
Basically what the title says thanks. My teacher's, well... horrible. haha :/
On a similar note, are harder parametrics meant to be so guess-y? Like I swear with the algebra, if you miss a substitution of y when finding the locus of something, your whole working out becomes useless -.-

sheep90

HSC
i only do 2 unit maths and I don't go to tutoring, don't have that great a teacher and I myself am horrible at maths
what I've been doing so far this year is basically learning whatever we do in class and then I go to scribd and I got the cambridge textbook and do the questions that are in there because they are harder. We also do random past hsc questions in class relating to our topic so that is helpful
If i don;t understand something I'm doing in class I either ask my friends (they're all doing 3 or 4 unit) or I go to the internet because I find that sometimes they might explain things differnetly which helps me understand better.
basically heaps of practice I guess.
I'm have zero natural talent in maths so I find I have to work a lot to get decent marks. like I'll undestand the basic concept but when it gets applied to harder questions then I don;t know what to do which why I find cambridge helpful, because they have harder questions than the jones and couchman textbook we use at school :)

Hakuna Matata

HSC
i only do 2 unit maths and I don't go to tutoring, don't have that great a teacher and I myself am horrible at maths
what I've been doing so far this year is basically learning whatever we do in class and then I go to scribd and I got the cambridge textbook and do the questions that are in there because they are harder. We also do random past hsc questions in class relating to our topic so that is helpful
If i don;t understand something I'm doing in class I either ask my friends (they're all doing 3 or 4 unit) or I go to the internet because I find that sometimes they might explain things differnetly which helps me understand better.
basically heaps of practice I guess.
I'm have zero natural talent in maths so I find I have to work a lot to get decent marks. like I'll undestand the basic concept but when it gets applied to harder questions then I don;t know what to do which why I find cambridge helpful, because they have harder questions than the jones and couchman textbook we use at school :)
Haha yeah I used to be decent at maths then everyone started getting tutoring lol :/ Still alright at it I guess, but gotta work way harder now, and our class is like ultra accelerated cos the teacher skips everything, so I'm about 10 topics behind. Our school made us accelerate 2u and I had to self learn that too, so if you want to know what I did, about 2 weeks out from trial hsc I got the fitzpatrick book out (never ended up using cambridge lol) and just went from beginning to end, reading through the theory of everything, making sure I understood the concepts and writing a few notes on the main formulas and how to approach some questions like the calculus and compound interest q's. Did like 1 or 2 questions from each exercise to get the gist of the topic. After I got through everything, I got the Cambridge Checkpoints 2U math book and did odd questions, then I got a practice papers by topic book and did odd questions, then I got hold of a heap of trial papers from other schools and I did them on the train to school, and at home I did our school's past papers. Ended up getting like 86% though haha :/ still happy with it considering I had no idea what a derivative was 2 weeks prior.

Oh and then I bombed the hsc. LOL

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I will deviate from what text you should use and the obvious past paper stuff.

I think one of the ways of tackling the harder questions is to have solid knowledge of the theory. Try not to practice by finding out what method you should use for such and such but rather why you use it. The harder questions turn out to be not so hard at all since you will be quicker at making connections. If you can put a concept in your own words, perhaps you may try to explain it to a classmate whilst on a school bus, it can really benefit you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)