tips for '04's? (1 Viewer)

400miles

Is there any past HSC students who did short story for their mw who wants to share any tips for us '04 students? Anything to watch out for? Share!

400miles

nup... 22nd august onwards is too late... until then i'm all up for any tips that anyone can give us - especially those who have done the course already

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dont panic, and youd be surprised how much a person with stress can write within a 1 week period

Leap

free falling
HSC
dont panic, and youd be surprised how much a person with stress can write within a 1 week period
Thats so true. All the best stuff that I wrote last year was written at the last minute.

Also, your reflection statement should show,
- an awareness of the medium you're using <---if you are doing a short story, in your reflection statement, mention several anthologies of short stories that you have read. If you haven't read any, make up plausible sounding titles and authors.
- a broad and ongoing investigation <---you need evidence of research, if all else fails, get a Psychology textbook and analyse your characters using fancy psychology terminology. Believe me, it works :)
- an extension of the advanced and extension courses
- an explanation of intent
- explanation of the conceptual process

Also, just a general tip, make sure you have a copy of your major work on your hard drive. Then save it on disk, then take that disk over to a friend/reletives house and save it on to their hard drive.
This is helpful if there is a large storm and your house loses electricity the night before the major work is due and then your disk becomes corrupted and you can't open the file.
It sounds unlikely, but it happened to me :)

Last edited:

Saul

*ss
HSC
hey whatdoyouknow, i also lost my major work the night before it was due cause of a corrupted disk - fucking gods and their sense of humour (keep backups! seriously!~)

classics_chic

HSC
I wrote mine in a 3 week period, but I had the story in my head from January...

Don't write it in 3 weeks! It made for all sorts of funky grammatical errors because I was tired and didn't notice them.

Get into your character's heads- then you have "greater insight" or stuff like that.

Enjoy it and it'll come to you and be clearer to the examiner.

The sadder or more post-modern you make it the more they'll like it.

The links to your prelim and HSC work can be very dodgy- mine were. Just justify it (crap on, you know how it works) in your reflection statement and journal.

When they say "hand it in on this day at this time", be there at least 15 min before. I know one girl who was sick and handed it in at 1pm (was due 9am that day) and they disqualified her. Tough, but it's the way it works.

J

jhakka

classics_chic said:
Crap... crap.

That can't be good. Mine's not absolutely tragic, and it has a plot. :(

Leap

free falling
HSC
classics_chic said:
That is such a myth.
My friend wrote a completely 'normal' story, i.e a linear narrative. It was about a family who owned a restaurant. It wasn't sad or angst ridden, not in the least bit post modern and she got 48/50.

My own story wasn't sad at all, it was wacky and light-hearted and i got 49/50.

Obviously I'm not saying there is anything wrong with 'sad' and post modern stories, and I'm sure that many of those type of stories have gotten top marks in the past.
But if you want to succeed, as with any other type of story, you have to write the sad-post-modern story well. Not just do a second-rate job of what people mistakenly perceive to be the formula for success.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Leap said:
That is such a myth.
My friend wrote a completely 'normal' story, i.e a linear narrative. It was about a family who owned a restaurant. It wasn't sad or angst ridden, not in the least bit post modern and she got 48/50.

My own story wasn't sad at all, it was wacky and light-hearted and i got 49/50.

Obviously I'm not saying there is anything wrong with 'sad' and post modern stories, and I'm sure that many of those type of stories have gotten top marks in the past.
But if you want to succeed, as with any other type of story, you have to write the sad-post-modern story well. Not just do a second-rate job of what people mistakenly perceive to be the formula for success.
My friend wrote a pretty 'safe' story as far as post modern stories go, and he got 50.

So its not just about that content, but rather the overall package.

You have an hour to grab these people intoyour story, and create a world where they will be enthralled to the very end. That should be your main aim. And the most important thing i found was, that trying to be academically superior by throwing around words that conjure harvard or some other pretentious git, is by no means a sign of a good mark. Remember your story is being read, so read it. Give it to someone average, that has no intention of doing 4 unit english, and see if they understand it. As an author the most important concept to remember is that you ARE writing a story to be read, not spoken, not seen, but read.

pitted

HSC
N/A
well what can i say???? MY god knows how old second hand comp does not save to disk - yeah thats screwed but i have been lucky so far and i plan on finishing at least a day before its due so i think i am right....well fingers crossed...
anyway the reflection statement stuff was good
i still think im gonna get a crud mark
everytime i read what we are meant to know or rather do i really get freaked coz mine isnt enthralling although it has the BEST ending (i think)

oh well whatever happens happens

ciao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)